Virtualisation Path

Discussion in 'Microsoft Hyper-V Virtualization' started by Killian, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

I'm just finishing up on my MCITP:SA and my manager has asked me to look into studying for the HyperV certs as all our servers are currently virtualised (with the odd exception).

I've just taken a look into the MCITP Server Virtualization though unsure which of the optional units I shoud do; 659 or 652.

We currently use Server 2008 R2 so I'm thinking 659 may be the better option though is that going to miss subjects covered on the 652, configuring, option.

Anybody have any experience with these and have any advice? I'm not concerned which is the easiest, just which would be the better option.

Appreciate any feedback given :)

Certifications: See sig.
    WIP: Everything!
  2. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

IMO, do the one related to the tech you're supporting, i.e. 2008 R2. The cert and exam is there to validate some general understanding. You'll find tons of useful info in many other places to help support your path to the certification.

I did the first Hyper-V exam and all I had going for myself was some experience, and a book which was somewhat light on the subject, but enough to let me pass as the exam itself was quite easy.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Same as Shinigami although admittedly when I passed my Hyper-V exam I only had lab experience. Certify in what you work with to validate your experience but experience will always be king in our game

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

Yeah I agree and was kind of the direction I was going.

Just had a look into getting myself a book for the 70-659 but there doesn't seem to be an MS Press book dedicated to it. Took a look on MS' site and it references the 652 book as preparation material.

Any suggestions for materials or is the 652 book enough to cover both exams (in which case I may as well sit both if my employer pays for them! :) )

5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

err dont do 652
    its pretty much obsolete now

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

Really struggling to find any material for the 659. Any suggestions from those who have sat and passed?

7. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

Still found nothing, any google search for 70-659 materials just bombards me with braindumps and other useless crap. Am assuming that as it's a new Cert they haven't published any material particularly dedicated to it.

Looks like I may have to get the 652 book and sit that for my optional unit.

8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

A lot of the MS press stuff has been updated to include 2008 R2 content which would satisfy the 659 content

9. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

So you reckon the MS Press book (Amazon link here) would sufficiently cover the material to prepare me for the 659?

10. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

11. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

My girlfriend is going to love you! I promised I'd stop studying for a while as I've been doing it non-stop for the last year! Looks like I'm going to have to break that promise.......

Now, someone please tell me all will be well if I go ahead and buy the 652 book so I can go ahead and get on with it! :biggrin lol

12. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

Never mind, I got impatient and brought it anyway! :onthePC

13. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Just study the material for 652. Hyper-V in 2008 R2 is not DRASTICALLY different from 2008.

Granted, I only did the 2008 HV exam, but it was one of the easiest ones I've sat and if the 2008 R2 exam is similar then even the simplest study book on HV will get you a pass (my study book was not even meant for the HV exam as the book was one of the first released and the exam was brand new and no books existed specifically for the 652).

Just make sure to fiddle around with HV as much as possible, and if I recall correctly, my 652 exam had a number of questions that checked to see if I understood the difference between the different virtual networks one can create in HV (i.e. the External, Internal and Private). So make sure you understand the differences.

And overall, enjoy the experience of HV :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  14. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Oh god, don't get me started on hyper-v networking
    It's one of my main gripes of the product! :)

15. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

I'd imagine external is external, internal is VMs plus host and private is VMs only?? Am sure I'll soon find out for sure either way :)

Think my course of action is set, 652, 659 and 403... have posted another thread here asking for advice RE prometric vouchers and virtualization voucher together.

Heres hoping my 646 goes well tomorrow, feeling a little too confident! lol

16. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Again, I wouldnt bother with 403, it is the older version of SCVMM

if you want to do three exams, take a look at the MCITP requirements for Virtualzation administrator
    there are three exams to do and a lot of SCVMM stuff is built into the exams now

17. Dell mountainman

Dell mountainman New Member

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012