Virtualisation help

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Mike.Rapley, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Mike.Rapley

Mike.Rapley New Member

So iv'e got my MS Press books installed Virtualbox on my pc so i can get going with a small domain. Iv'e installed Win2K3 Enterprise evaluation and now realise iv'e only got 14 days to get the damn thing registered... Any ideas on how to do this using my Virtualbox sandbox ?

Thanks in advance

Mike

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have use virtual pc in the past with win2k3 and xp trials all I did was to install explorer when installing the OSs and that took care of it. Not sure if this is all you have to do but worth a try.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I guess you mean you want to activate it over the Internet inside the VM? I have only dabbled with VirtualBox in the past, but most virtualisation programs allow you to bridge the real NIC in your host PC with the virtual NIC in your VM.

So if you had a fairly common router setup which was handing out IP's then your virtual server should receive one and be able to get on the net providing you set the virtual adapter up correctly. Some will have a private virtual setting (so only the running VM's can see the virtual network). If it's set like this then you won't get a connection.

Usually the best bet is to setup two virtual adapters in your VM and have one talking to your physical network for net access and the other which has virtual access only. Then if you require clients on your virtual network with net access, you can configure RRAS on your virtual server and route the traffic out to your physical network.

p.s. Watch out how you configure things though. If you have a DHCP server setup on your DC, then you won't want to bridge the main NIC out to your phsical network if you also have a router doing the same thing. Hence the 2 virtual adapter advice.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. Mike.Rapley

Mike.Rapley New Member

Thanks for the help guys. Iv'e got it sorted now