Virtual Server 2005 R2 (exchange install)

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Wires_are_bad, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Wires_are_bad

Wires_are_bad Nibble Poster

Hi guys

Having trialled countless operating systems using Virtual PC, I decided to try my luck with Virtual server to setup a complete network. I'd previously done this in Virtual PC, but the server edition seems to come equipped with a host of extra features.

My home computer has Vista Home edition installed, so I'm unable to install Virtual server on it. However, my work PC has XP professional so I'm able to install and set it up.

I'm supposed to be building a test environment at work and have since downloaded a pre installed VHD with Exchange server (although it looks like it's out of date and I can't find the latest version). I've started to setup the new virtual harddisk via the admin console and came across the networking card options.

From the three options, (no networking, external adapter, existing network) the external adpater seems to be the logical choice as I don't want my test environment to conflict with the existing network and Exchange. I just wanted to double check that this is the correct option?

I also had to add the IIS component before installing, but I've got a warning regarding setting up SSL for better security. I've downloaded the white paper and am reading up on how to configure this - has anyone else setup a test environment at work?

Certifications: Bsc Business I.T (2:1)
    WIP: A+ and N+