virtual pc psu usage

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by boots2k, Apr 30, 2008.

1. boots2k

boots2k Bit Poster

If i am running 4 virtual pcs at the same time on 1 pc would that take up more psu resources?

If in my real pc I turn of on board sound and in my virtual pc i enable sound in the bios, is one seperate from the other even at that level?

thanks

WIP: MCDST
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

When you say you are running 4 virtual PC's are they all the same winodws OS envirnoment or different ones. Also what is the spec of your PC and wattage of the PSU?8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. boots2k

boots2k Bit Poster

I am running all the vurtual pcs on on

p4 3.4
    2.5 gig ram
    350w psu

I know my pc has the ram and cpu specs to cope but does loading it up with more virtual pcs take more psu power?

cheers

4. boots2k

boots2k Bit Poster

I run windows xp pro only on the real pc

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if your are running four at the same time obviously there is going to be more cpu usage, ram usage and hard disk usage so yes but it will be minimal. My PSU is 700watts so I have more than enough am not sure how your 350w would cope but as you say if your turning off graphics etc then you will probably be ok.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

If your processor is being maxed out whilst running multiple virtual machines, then yes it is going to be drawing more power than if it was idling.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Why on earth do those bits of information make a difference to the question?
    if the PSU can handle the amount of CPU and RAM you have at PEAK usage then you will be fine
    but PCs use switched power supplies meaning they take what they need, so it will use MORE as you ramp up usage, but it wont fall over unless your PSU is under specced for your system

Disabling audio in the HOST os can often mean it wont work in the guest OS as well, as it is intrinsically linked, however this is not always the case and depends on how audio is emulated in the guest OS

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0