Virtual Pc MS Q ( setting up a virtual network )

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by KhenRigzin, Oct 2, 2008.

1. KhenRigzin

KhenRigzin New Member

I'm trying to set up a virtual 2003 server to host 2 other virtual computers running the os Win Xp.

I already set up one virtual pc with the NOS server 2003. Configured the server a little etc.

Now my Q is .. Am I able to connect 2 or 1 ( win xp ) to my server 2003?

I want to learn something about this NOS so this is the cheapest way to do so.
    Already bought a book btw so no flaming ;)

Can anyone inform me if this is doable?

Is there a difference between windows server 2003 enterprise and windows server 2003 R 2? Is R 2 just an update?

friendly greets

I want to use virtual pc from Microsoft ( it's more user and ram friendly )
    I'm currently running windows XP Pro SP 2

2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Taken from Wikipedia:

Windows Server 2003 R2, an update of Windows Server 2003, was released to manufacturing on 6 December 2005. It is distributed on two CDs, with one CD being the Windows Server 2003 SP1 CD. The other CD adds many optionally installable features for Windows Server 2003. The R2 update was released for all x86 and x64 versions, but not for Itanium versions.[20]

[edit] New features
    Branch Office Server Management
    Centralized management tools for file and printers
    Enhanced Distributed File System (DFS) namespace management interface
    More efficient WAN data replication with Remote Differential Compression.
    Identity and Access Management
    Extranet Single Sign-On and identity federation
    Centralized administration of extranet application access
    Automated disabling of extranet access based on Active Directory account information
    User access logging
    Cross-platform web Single Sign-On and password synchronization using Network Information Service (NIS)
    Storage Management
    File Server Resource Manager (storage utilization reporting)
    Enhanced quota management
    File screening limits files types allowed
    Storage Manager for Storage Area Networks (SAN) (storage array configuration)
    Server Virtualization
    A new licensing policy allows up to 4 virtual instances on Enterprise Edition and Unlimited on Datacenter Edition
    Utilities and SDK for UNIX-Based Applications add-on, giving a relatively full Unix development environment.
    Base Utilities
    SVR-5 Utilities
    Base SDK
    GNU SDK
    GNU Utilities
    Perl 5
    Visual Studio Debugger Add-in

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Forgot to mention you can connect as many Clients to your Server as you wish as long as you have the licenses.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. KhenRigzin

KhenRigzin New Member

tnx a lot for the info; it's an update okay I see
    But erm; how do I exactly set up multiple virtual computers to connect to my virtual NOS?

friendly greets

with the current licence I can probably connect up to five computers to the network.
    Since I dont have much Ram and my intention is only to connect up to two computers it wont bother me.

I'm gonne install my own windows xp pro cd to one virtual computer and another disc ( which I borrowed from a friend ) to the other virtual computer.

5. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Maybe just reading your question wrong, but wouldn't you just add the the 2 virtual workstations to the domain?

WIP: LIFE
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yep, as long as the virtual network adapters are configured correctly and the Server 2k3 is configured as a DC there should be no problems.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. KhenRigzin

KhenRigzin New Member

me kinda noob
    of course my intention is to add two computers to the domain..
    I'll set up another xp virtual computer and see from there if I can figure it out myself

So I've set up one computer as the server running Windows Server 2003
    and the other computer has windows xp running.

Now can someone explain to me how you connect those 2 computers together?
    So I have the xp connected to my network computer..

In the virtual pc console ( setting< network ) I have both operating systems ( win 2003 & xp ) connected to adapter 1: attensic L1 Gigabit ethernet 10/1000 base T controller
    That's probably my ethernet card on my motherboard.

I got two other choices: local only + shared networking ( NAT )

greets

8. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Hi i'm not entirely sure if i understand what you want to do. Am i correct in thinking you want to have 1 VM running 2k3 and 1 VM running XP? Then you want to create a 2k3 domain and add the XP VM to it.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  9. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Type dcpromo in to the run menu on the server, this will promote the server to a domain controller, you can set up a windows domain.

Add a workstation to the domain via the my computer properties of the client.

WIP: LIFE
  10. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

The configuration you have is correct. Leave it as the adapter 1: attensic L1 Gigabit ethernet 10/1000 base T controller.

On the server go to Start > Admin Tools > Manage Your Server > Add/Remove Role

Then make the Server a Domain Controller, DHCP and DNS as a minimum.

Next go to your XP Virtual Machine.

Right Click My Computer > Properties > Computer Name > Change > Select Domain > Enter Domain Name > OK > Enter Credentials of the Admin on your Server.

Hope that helps.

11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Have you seen this website?

TechNet Virtual Labs: Windows Server 2003

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+