Virtual pals 'soar in importance'

Discussion in 'News' started by simongrahamuk, Nov 30, 2006.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Virtual pals 'soar in importance'

Virtual communities are as important as their real-world counterparts, many members of online communities believe.
    A survey found 43% of online networkers from the US felt "as strongly" about their web community as they did about their real-world friends.

It also revealed net-users had made an average of 4.6 virtual pals this year.

Read more here.

porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Boycie
      Boycie
      Interesting read Si.

Personally, I spend a fair bit of time *online* and my favourite place, namely CF.

There must be truth in this article; take this Saturday as an example.

Si
    2. twizzle
      twizzle
      I agree. I have more "friends" online than i do off (maybe im just sad??)

I also met my current g/f from an online chat room. We just started talking in the room, that led to phone calls then to us seeing each other thanks to another online friend.
      Even my best m8 started out as an online friend, but since our first chat, i've been best man at her wedding, helped them move, and they are comming down for xams day this year.

Its also thanks to my online friends that i got through my very messy divorce relatively sane!! They were a lot of support and very understanding even if i hadnt met them physically.

Without any online contacts i would definatley be a sad and lonley person (or more so :biggrin )

And of course without the help of the folks here at CF i may not have passed my N+!!!!!
    3. Mr.Cheeks
      Mr.Cheeks
      agree with Boycey.
    4. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      My online friends ARE my real-world friends. Just because we communicate on the computer doesn't make them less "real". I've been meeting people online for the past 25 years... a large number of them met offline as well.