Virtual Network

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by westernkings, Sep 5, 2009.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Hey guys, I am planning on using virtual PC 2007 on my machine to get a full network running, so I can configure exchange 2010 etc and basically get a grips with some fairly advanced stuff to help with my studies.

I am presuming I can install Office on the Virtual PCs to use with the exchange 2010 server? if anyone has any general first timers advice, that would be great, this is my first step into anything of this type of thing. SO advice would be great gents.

WK

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Exchange 2010 is 64bit only mate. What spec is your host PC?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. westernkings

See Signature, running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. What alternatives if I can't run exchange 10?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ahh, you should be ok to run Exchange 2010 then. Remember you will need a DC as well in a seperate VM.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that the 64bit version of Virtual PC 2007 doesn't actually provide a virtual 64bit processor in the virtual machines.

I like VirtualPC as it's very easy to setup and configure, but it can be limiting depending on what you want to do with it. I believe that VirtualBox supports 64bit guest OS's, so if you set your virtual network up on that, you should be able to implement Exchange 2010.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. westernkings

Well, I am trying to replicate a network setup from scratch (albeit a very basic one, IE DC01 and Backup DC02, Exchange Serrver and some other things, along with a few windows machines) just to test out Group Policy etc, I am a technician now, in my second year of working in IT, so I am looking to get some knowledge behind me, and in terms of how it would be done in real life, it is pretty similar.

So I have Server 08 as my DC1 right now, however, it is throwing up problems about DHCP IP address it has, as it comes from my host PC, how do I give it a static IP address? like 10.1.1.1?

I am totally new to most of this. I know how to get to the IP address properties, but i mean is there anything else that needs to be configured on my host machine etc?

Thanks for the help guys, this is really helping me out learning.

7. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Firstly, you'll want to be giving your servers static addresses. And those addresses should be outwith your DHCP scope.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  8. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Be sure to configure the networking properties so they are on the same subnet using private IP adresses in the range you have already mentioned or in the range of 192.168.1.x and you can do that just as you do on seperate physical machines.

Since you are running a VPC and not a VMware (they are quite different in terms of GUI and settings but still serve the virtualistion purpose) install the VM additions, which adds a lot of functionality, included drag and drop, folder sharing, mouse integration, better video drivers, clipboard sharing copy and paste between host and guest OS, and much better performance. You can do this by clicking the action menu and selecting install or update virtual machine additions. (Original Source: windowsecurity.com http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Microsoft-Virtual-PC.html )

Also, if you plan to run more than one VM at a time, have at least a gigabyte of ram.

You may want to grab this material on group policy, it's quite comprehensive.

-Obie

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2009
    Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Do you ever give advice that you have actually written yourself? I guess not ...

Hmm where have I seen this before ...

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Microsoft-Virtual-PC.html

Hey, you changed a bit at the start to make it look like you had written it yourself, tee hee! Once a cheat, always a cheat eh!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  10. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Oooowwww busted! :shocked

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What does it take for someone to get thrown out on their ear around here? :dry

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Ouch.... caught!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  13. westernkings

Hey guys, me again.

I just reinstalled Server 08, haven't turned it into a DC or anything yet, I have set the network adapter settings as NAT which means I should be able to access the net through my host PC, and that uis there the virtual server is getting it's IP address from automatically. My question is, what IP address do I give it to make it static?

Obviously, I want this to be the DHCP server on my new virtual domain, but I haven't a clue about what settings to give it.. I am completely lost.

14. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

It needs a private IP address, so 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x or even 172.16.x.x. If it's going to be a DC for starters I wouldn't share the connection with your existing network (well not the 1st adapter anyway).

I would have your 1st server NIC set to be accessible on the virtual network only. Then when you setup DHCP on your server, it's not going to interfere with any clients on your real physical network. That's assuming your modem/router is acting as a simple DHCP server already which it most likely is.

Then if you want internet access for your virtual server / virtual clients, you could add an extra virtual NIC to the DC, and use RRAS to route to your internet connection (the second NIC would be bridged to your hosts physical NIC).

TO be honest though mate, I think you are trying to run before you can walk at the moment. You are proposing a reasonably complex server setup and if you are not sure what IP setting to use it might be better to start off with something a bit simpler.