Virtual Memory clarification (MM All in One)

Discussion in 'A+' started by ChrisH, Jul 24, 2006.

1. ChrisH

ChrisH Nibble Poster

Hi

I'm a little confused by Mike's advice given in the All in One book.

(Not sure if posting small quotes from the book is in breach of forum rules/copyright therefore I'll try to describe the text)

p649 - Mike states that a genaral rule is to set the virtual memory to between 2 and 3 times that of the physical RAM.

p747 - Mike states that he does not mess with the virtual memory settings and leaves control to Windows.

'Leaving control to Windows' suggests to me that the setting used is 'System Managed Size' however when installing XP my virtual memory defaults to custom size.

Can I assume that on page 649 the advise is applicable only to 9x/ME even though 2000/XP are mentioned within the same section of text and that on page 747 the advise is to leave the default custom size settings? If so then what is 'System Managed' if its not leaving control to Windows.

I would say I hope this makes sense but if it did then I wouldn't be asking the question, lol.

Help

WIP: A+
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Some people say to ditch the page file, some say leave it to windows, some say set the minimum and maximum to 1.5 times the physical amount of RAM... I had someones PC to look at that a game wouldn't run because the page file was on another physical drive...

Personally, i would leave it to Windows unless told otherwise..

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. ChrisH

ChrisH Nibble Poster

I always leave default settings, never seen any benefit from changing them myself.

The question is more 'what am I expected to know from an A+ point of view?'

WIP: A+
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

IMHO the correct answer is 'Leave it to windows', but be aware of the approx value that is usualy set.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+