Virtual Domain - A Bit confused

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Jaron78, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Ok, brief outline....

I am attending a Powershell Course next week that I am really looking forward to.

I have built VM AD Server (MS Server 2012 R2), and a Single Windows 7 Client. I aim to practice what I learn while on the course on the VM's.

My issue seems to be Internet access on the VM's. I don't want the VM's to be able to access Ethernet as it would then be using the work LAN. We do have a separate Wireless (BTOpenzone Network) which I can use.

I just wanted to be able to access Internet via the Server.

I just cant understand how I can use the Wireless settings on the VM to run as a server and connect to the Internet.

2. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

are you using client hyper-v, vmware workstation, other?

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  3. Jaron78

Sorry, VMWare.
    I can get the client and server to talk, it's just trying to work out the IP, DNS, Subnet Mask for the server I can't work out.

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Assuming this is workstation you're talking about or is it Fusion?

You should be able to bridge the wireless adapter to the VM network.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. Jaron78

Sorry mate, I should have explained better.
    It's more about setting the server up with IP, Subnet, Default Gateway and DNS. Where do I get the IP range etc from?

6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Ahh ok, that makes sense, you would have to use an additional network card in a VM and have it connect to the network with an IP address from the wifi DHCP server.

Ideally you don't want to be changing the IP address of the domain controller so stick with a multi-homed solution instead.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10