Virgin Poster

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by syntax_error, Nov 14, 2004.

1. syntax_error

syntax_error Bit Poster

Hi all first timer here so be gentle!
    A little back round info, I have worked as a builder for the last 6years, so new to the IT industry. I lost my job just before Christmas last year and it has taken me this long to sort my life out and decide to do a MCSE, compliments of Tony Blair :twisted: Not ideal by any means but the provider they use finds you a work placement while you get your 210,215 and if you pass them your 216,217 so best ways I walk out with 4cores MCP's and 6months IT work experience.

Anyways I was wondering If you guys know of some good books to buy for the 210,215,216,217 so far I looked into buying examcram2 core bundle books for around 60quid but a of the few reviews I read slagged this book off , anyone read these books ? or have any feedback on them or similar books, also was thinking of doing a A+ in my spare time or you think taking on too much at one time is a bad thing ?

Thanks in advance

Certifications: mcp server2k
    WIP: Network Infrastructure
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi syntax_error (LOVE the handle), and welcome to CertForums - hope your here for the long haul :D

The general consensus is that either MSPress or Sybex (argument in it's own right) are the best books for the job - combination of both would be even better ! Couple that with some Cramsessions and a decent set of prep tests (Transcenders are the best, as I seem to be preaching this weekend - am I a Salesman ??? :eek: )

However you proceed, all the best of luck, enjoy your time here, and ask for, and help out others, as you see fit :D

btw, I could do with a small retaining wall in my front garden, I don't suppose .....? :biggrin

EDIT: If at all new to PC's, IT - A+ is a definite good starting point, IMHO

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Peter

Peter Byte Poster

Welcome syntax_error :D

Certifications: Elec & Eelc Eng A+
    WIP: CCNA-CCNP
  4. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Hi there Syntax_error, welcome to certforums. Good luck with the course, there is plenty of help and advice floating around here. :D

And I would echo Jak's advice, the A+ is definatly worth doin if you ask me.

BTW, what made you decide on the IT industry?

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CertForums syntax_error, nice handle BTW.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Just to add my welcome to you as well :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. syntax_error

syntax_error Bit Poster

I have always been interested in computer since my Spectrum ZX, but I used them mainly for games tho. I did a newCaD in networking a year or so but found it extremely boring and quit after about 3months. I love to learn new things and I don’t feel I can for fill my potential in life working on a building site. Besides who wants to work outside when it’s pissing down with rain? :twisted:

Since I joined this MCSE course I just want to learn more and more everyday, what really interests me is wireless networks and security but its far to early to say what line networking I wanna get into, just because I have a interest in a specific field doesn't necessarily I would enjoy working in it :biggrin I just wanna get my 4MCP's and 6months work experience and now since trolling this site a A+ certificate

Anyways gonna spend the rest of the night looking for a cheap A+ course (anyone have a decent London based provider link?)

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi syntax_error and welcome to the forum.

As for the A+ you can't go wrong picking up a Mike Myers book and an old compy to pull to bits. Oh, and this place of course.:D

@Jak, you'll be wanting a shrubbery next.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. Inqueision

Inqueision Bit Poster

Afternoon syntax hope you find what you are looking for on here,

A+ is a good thing to have under your belt, im currently doing it but im going down the self study route, its ALOT cheaper than them course's but it does need motivation and you can go at your own pace unlike sum crammed courses out there (please let me know if im wrong?)

Enjoy

Dave

WIP: A+ & Network+ now, not mcse (yet)
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

So *you're* the guy that sends me all those messages when I'm fumbling at the command line. Nice to finally meet the person behind the "syntax error" messages I've become all too familiar with. :biggrin

Seriously, welcome to certforums, syntax_error. Glad you found the place. Put your feet up and make yourself at home. Hope we can help you with any of your questions about IT. Cheers.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. Firthy2002

Firthy2002 Byte Poster

Welcome to CertForums!

Out of interest, which provider did you use to get the work placement + MCPs?

Certifications: None currently
    WIP: CompTIA A+ & Network+
  12. syntax_error

syntax_error Bit Poster

QIS (Quality Intergrated Systems) thier based in central london (kings Cross)

13. Clay

Clay Bit Poster

:dry

Let us know how you get on as I am working along a similar route 210,215,218,228. I intend to have all 4 completed by end of May and continue on to more via self study. I just wonder whether I am rushing it but I like a challenge and seeing others succeeed can only encourage us ......right!

:eek:

Certifications: LCGI ECDL AMInstLM MCP
    WIP: MCSA 70-215