Virgin Media Network Blackout

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Miro, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Miro

Miro Byte Poster

It happen to me avarage once per month. I just can not connect to internet. There is just no signal in the cable. I have got Virgin Media cable broadband. I have got Motorolla modem which is farther connect to Belkin router. I have got network of two PC's. The LAN works fine but the WAN ( I mean Internet) just is not there. When I call them they always says it should be ok, but it is not.
    Yesterday I had no internet from 1pm till 2am.
    Does it happen to you?
    I think it might be problem with theirs DNS servers.

Certifications: A+ IT Technician
    WIP: MCDST, Network+
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Never knew virgins suffered from blackouts ! :p

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Can you ping anything on the internet by IP address when you are having problems browsing the web?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

How far are you from your local exchange? Did you reset your routers / refresh your network settings in that time?

Do you have any other services from Virgin Media (phone, TV) and were they affected?

I have to say, I've been a customer of theirs for 2 months and (touch wood) it's been tip-top service all the way.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Are you clutching at straws?

Have you asked Virgin to send you out a replacement modem?

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  6. drum_dude

No exchanges involved with cable. It's a coax line to a junction box then fibre all the way to the UBR.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  7. drum_dude

If the lights are flickering way - the activity light - on the Motorola then the service is fine! BUT I wouldn't discount the Belkin. I had a Linksys router a few years back that used to cut me off once in a while as it's memory would run out of...er...memory! The result being that the router would crash - the switch was ok as the LAN was still operational. Either a wait of 10 minutes would sort it or - even quicker - a pull the power plug out would get things up and running again.

Next time it happens, reboot the Belkin! Trouble is with Virgin is that once they find out you have a router behind the CM they will not want to help - unless it was supplied by them of course!

8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Pound to a penny you can resolve your problem by switching to a different upstream.

Go to: http:\\192.168.100.1 - this will bring up the web config page for your modem.
    Click on the 'Configuration' menu item - you will see an entry marked 'Upstream Channel ID'. Note what this is currently set to, then try changing it to 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5
    Reboot the modem to apply changes.
    If it doesn't work, try another number from 1-5 until you get service back.

The upstream you are on is oversubscribed - As soon as Virgin took over from Telewest this began happening to me regularly (within a month of them taking over). I had to do this about once a month for eight months - it fixed the problem temporarily every time - until the upstream I chose got rinsed too. They finally fixed the issue for good last summer by replacing the UBR (router) I connect through at the head end. Its all about them squeezing as many customers onto their service as they possibly can.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. drum_dude

Luckily Zeb, its all been fine at this end! We get a very good service from Virgin - touch wood :oops:

10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I've been a customer of NTL/Virgin for over 5 years and apart from 3 times, my connections been solid. I did have a problem at my parents place where it was actually the the box that joins the external cable (the black one) to internal cable (the white one) that caused internet outtages - the box wasn't installed correctly.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. flounder10

flounder10 Nibble Poster

I have recently, in the past few weeks experienced this a couple of times.

@ Zeb - i tried locating the menu options that you are referring to about the channel upstream, but i don't seem to have the option to change this channel. Im not sure if it is because i have one of their newer modems (Scientific-Atlantic WebStar) instead of the older Motorola ones.

Apart from the couple of outages recently.... not had a problem before in years

WIP: Net+, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA, CCNP
  12. Miro

Miro Byte Poster

It happen again today but this time I had resolved the problem by going to
    http:\\192.168.100.1 - web config page for Motorola modem.
    And I have chenged the channel from 2 to 4 and it works now:D
    as Zebulebu said
    "Pound to a penny you can resolve your problem by switching to a different upstream."

Thank you to all for help.:respct

Certifications: A+ IT Technician
    WIP: MCDST, Network+
  13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

No problem - glad I could help. You should note that it may happen to you again - even on your 'new' upstream, so be prepared to do a bit of upstream musical chairs for the next few months whilst they sort it out :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em