Virgin Media increasing to 20Mb

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by noelg24, Mar 21, 2007.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

So have you heard? Virgin Media (Telewest/NTL) have announced that they will be upgrading customers from their XL broadband 10Mb connection to a whopping 20Mb. On top of that the upstream will be almost double if not double the speed to 768Kb. The price, however has been increased a GREAT deal!! From £35 to a whopping £37!! HEHEHE!!!

The plan was to roll these out in June 2007, however the boys have decided to bring it 1mth forward...so yep from May 2007 they will start rolling these out. And of course, they are going to be trialling 50Mb and 100Mb....hmmm 100Mb connection...:biggrin

So who wants to change? hehe

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Wow.

Im currently on 2mb, I feel so cheap and inadequate....

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

im already on 10Mb so bring on 20Mb...

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I think I get 3Mbps down. Not sure that my life would be more complete if it were 7 times as fast... I rarely download things that take forever to download.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I'm currently on the 4mb line, last year NTL said that they will be upgrading the 2mb & 4mb customers to 10mb around the Christmas 2006 time. I guess with the Virgin takeover/buy-out we have to wait and see what happens to us lowly people :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

those on 4meg wont be upgraded to 10...10meg is getting dropped altogether...so from 4meg it will be 20meg...so u might aswell upgrade now hehe

7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yeps

And with the upgrade speed watch the massive drop in service quality as the usual tosspots FTPing and Torrenting all day long continue to swallow up all the available bandwidth whilst Smellywest/NTHell/Virgin or whatever they are calling themselves these days do sod all about the already oversubscribed UBRs...

I was on the 10Mb until about a year ago - honestly, unless you are downloading shitloads of torrents its really not worth it. I know someone who's on the 50Mb trial in Ashford, and they have seen precious little difference since they don't use Usenet or private FTP sites and they can count on the fingers of one hand the number of sites they've downloaded anything from that wasn't throttled beyond 10Mb

Snake oil from Branson - suppose I'd better get used to it :x

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. laup

laup Byte Poster

Think youll find 4mbit will be upgrading to 10mbit

Certifications: IC3,A+, N+, 70-270, CCNA
    WIP: CCDA/Job :>
  9. Griffon

Griffon Bit Poster

Don't tell me you think Virginmedia (among other ISPs) have no trafficshaping/filtering in place?

Certifications: A Degree, A+
    WIP: Network+, MCDST
  10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

They do (at least the old NTL parts of the network do). The Telewest areas are a lot patchier when it comes to Traffic Shaping - largely, I believe, as a result of serious failures when they were testing Packeteer on their network in certain areas a couple of years ago.

Having only ever had a Smellywest line I can state with some impunity that the contention rate in my area, whilst probably not being changed by Telewest, has got steadily worse over the last 18 months.

I run regular download speed tests (because I'm sad like that) and notuice a marked decrease in download speed during the hours of 16:00 - 22:00 every single night. It can't be a coincidence that these times coincide with the times people come home from school/work - and these are not insignificant drops either, it averages around 25%, sometimes its around 35% and I've even seen it drop to 50% on occasion.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

From what my source who works at Telewest tells me, this is not the case but then knowing the ISP, they probably will upgrade those on 4Mb to 10Mb...

12. Rik

Rik Nibble Poster

No need to ;)

13. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

It would be nice if the speed they sell was actually what we got.

Have been with NTL for the last 8 years since they came into our area, we were upgraded to the 10mb service, a few months ago our aging terayon modem was replaced because it died.

Having done several speed tests, we can actually only get 5.5mb due to the amount of subscribers in our area.

Funny thing is, NTL contacted my parents (as i no longer live there) saying that for just an extra few quid they could have 20mb.

My parents use the internet for email, finances and shopping mainly and thats it.

So 20mb is great if u need it and can get it, but its another over subscribed service and they are downgrading to either 2mb or 4mb....

Id like 20mb, but NTL it wont be...

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3