1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virgin / Cable Wireless router

Discussion in 'Networks' started by dan_1983, Jan 21, 2009.

1. dan_1983

dan_1983 Bit Poster

Okay, so i have a netgear DG834 (i think) which i have had for about 2 years. Its okay, but now with 4 wireless laptops, a couple of ipods and a playstation all hammering my wlan it struggles quite often, usually only resolved with a reboot of the netgear router.

So i have been looking at different wireless routers to swap this with and am looking at the one below:

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=5327

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with one of these? Basically i need something that can handle the laptops doing usual browsing and also the PS3 kicking some butt on call of duty :)

Also, i have been doing some reading on the wireless N does it require specific network cards on the machines to take advantage of this?

Thanks!

Certifications: MCP 70-290
    WIP: CompTia Network+
  2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Unless the hardware is rated for N the router will default to G speeds so you may be no better off.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

WiFi 'N' has a number of drawbacks which *may* mean that you don't get the benefit from the notional higher speed.

However - your main problem is that your current router needs rebooting so often. You will need to do a fair bit of research on this, as that sort of info doesn't appear in specs!

Many domestic routers these days will fail with high throughput - usually because they just don't have the processor power to handle it all. This is a direct result of keeping the cost low. So you may have to go a bit upmarket to ensure better stability.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

One of my mates has one of these and works perfectly, so i went and bought one. However I've had nothing but problems with it (it's just mine though), haven't had the time to send it back :(

-Ken

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip
  5. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

Have you tried a firmware upgrade to solve your problem?

Are you running the latest firmware?

Mercury

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  6. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

Yeah, I think it's a problem with the internal antenna. It works as a router/switch and you can configure the settings as normal (this would have been my 4th Linksys wireless router/switch in the last 8 years), however no laptop can see/pick up the wireless network (I've tried 4 laptops, one of them even has an "N" network card that works at my mates).

-Ken

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip
  7. dan_1983

dan_1983 Bit Poster

Hi Mercury

If this is aimed at me, then yes i have the latest firmware on the router. To be fair it is fairly old, maybe i will look around the £100 mark for a router

Certifications: MCP 70-290
    WIP: CompTia Network+