Virgin 50Meg Broadband

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by noelg24, Feb 25, 2009.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

It's all going quick for me lately...lol...literally!

I have moved house, pretty much finished building my gaming machine (just the 24" LCD left) and now I am rolling on 50Meg broadband!!! :biggrin

I got it installed last week...and damn what a difference it does make.

My downloads can go as high as 6.2MBps. So I gave it a test and downloaded a DVD (4.5GB) in about 10min!! :eek:

Gaming is even better online too...at first tho I was getting pings of well over 900ms but 24hrs later it had gotten back down to just under 100ms. I play Crysis Wars online and damn its a good game!! I urge people to get it if they loved Crysis and Crysis Warhead!!

The upload speed has also increased from 768kbps to 1.4mbps which is a big help for me since I have an FTP server now.

So there u have it...life right now is pretty sweet where all my computers (5 of them by the way) are concerned :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

OK, I'm jealous!

Sounds like your in a good place right now :)

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. oztrailrider

oztrailrider Nibble Poster

50Mbps would be awesome. I am on 17Mbps cable here which is pretty nice but about the only place I can saturate the connection from is through my ISPs file mirror. We are just starting to get some fibre to the home services here in oz in certain places that allow up to 100Mbps. If only I could get that here.. :(

Certifications: MCP (70-270)
    WIP: A+
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Some parts of the UK have 100Mbps connection...and I am sure it wont be long until Virgin upgrade from 50Meg to 100Meg as I know they were trialling 50Meg and 100Meg...hmmm 100Meg connection with speeds of 10MBps...:eek: :biggrin

5. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Tempted to jump on the Virgin wagon with their 20Mbps cable. Couldn't imagine what 50Mbps would be like ;)

6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Sounds great !

So when are we all moving in ? :p

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I have the 20Mbps, and regularly get 20Mbps through it as well. I was tempted by the 50Mbps but I can't think of a legal use for a cable that fast that a 10Mps line doesn't handle just as well.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I can think of a couple: gaming online and BBC iPlayer :biggrin

of course there is also 4 On Demand, ITV Player, the possibilities are endless. Trust me it's well worth the jump :)

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Approximately 2.5 times as fast.

Next question!! 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

100ms is really bad though.. I have around 100 on my 3 wireless broadband..

Are you pinging UK servers at ~100ms ?

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  11. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Hi Noel, well for me Virgin's 20mbit service is just fine! But it's good to see that their giving you a good service on 50mbit. Certainly whips ADSLs arse now, as I knew cable always would! Glad to see they're giving a IP Clear like upload on a residential product!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  12. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I get a really bad service form Virgin Media, and they are not interested in fixing it.

I imagine it is contention as it is every peak hour connection drops to below 1Mb, when it is an 8Mb line, and at night speeds are as they should i.e. 8Mb.

Trying to watch the football online (legally!) is impossible, whereas at my friends down the road it runs perfect. half a service.

happy for you though :)

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  13. Gingerdave

Is your service through cable or through the phone line? if it is through cable give them another call and really kick up a fuss. If it is through your phone then likely it is the contention on the line.

It might also be worth finding out what your friend is running on.

14. danielno8

yeah it's through phoneline :(

15. Gingerdave

Umm can you get cable in your area? it might be worth the switch. If lots of people use the phone lines for their web browsing there is nothing Virgin can do to speed you up.

16. danielno8

nah we can't get cable out my way unfortunately!

IF contention is so bad, surely they should purchase more *something* in order to supply a better service?

17. Gingerdave

Unfortunately *something*s are very expensive.

To improve the connection they would need to get BT to physically run new cables to each house, create new, local and area exchanges and lay new high quality cables between all the points in between. That is an awful lot of cost for something you may not see the improvement on.

18. danielno8

I disagree, if they want to sell broadband, they shouldnt oversubscribe the equipment they already have in place.

theres not actually a need for extra cables to houses either, as non-peak hours my speed it perfect!

19. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

...or just move closer to the exchange :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  20. Gingerdave

This has been discussed before but the long and short is of is they are not selling you 8mb broad band, they are selling you a piece of 8mb broadband, and that piece is proportional to the number of users making use of the service at that point. You all have access, you all have the possibility of 8mb but it all comes down to the contention ratio. Virgin may not be over subscribing its bits but what about BT, Tiscalli, Orange, Sky and all the others - its all going over the same Kit, how do you police that?

If you are saying that it should be one connection per household at the full speed it is frankly ridiculous as their would be a huge need of investment, to give you an indication out London office has an 8mb leased line - ie only them on it, and they pay ~£2500 per month, are you willing to pay that for your connection?