Vigilante Fraudulent Email Justice

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Arroryn, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I don't know about you guys, but I get fraud/phishing emails, mainly from eBay, virtually every day. Okay, so maybe I should install a spam filter, but I'm not that flush.

Forwarding the things to eBay's spoof department never seems to achieve anything. You just end up getting more and more of the things. Today, I received one that directed me to an English speaking URL (for once). It was a .com addy.

So I went to the site itself, instead of the URL. It was a rather nice collective community that talked about cats alot. So I emailed their admin/owner. I detailed the email, it's contents, the use of their URL, and the fact that I'd sent it on to eBay's fraud department.

I received a reply a few hours later, thanking me. They'd seen a strange page appear on whatever admin facility they'd got, and in time deleted it - but they hadn't know what it was for. They will be more vigilant for 'attacks' in future.

Now, I could have been fobbed off, sure. But I'd like to think that person has been made aware that their site was being taken advantage of, and will make steps to prevent it in future.

Much more satisfying than forwarding on an email. And a good deed for the day. Just thought I'd share it with you guys, as my family would have fallen asleep if I'd told them :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well think what would have happened if you told a cat or dog or even a hamster! :eek: no seriously tho Arroryn well done. Surprisingly I dont get any spoof emails from eBay. In fact I have only ever received about 7 Spam emails to my Gmail account since I started using it almost 2yrs ago (:eek: has it been that long already?). But its weird how people are still doing this especially taking over someone else's site to do it. Lets hope this admin of this site is true to their word...again well done...:biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

LMAO, I get that feeling all the time with my GF. The other day I was delighted I'd narrowed a problem down to a dodgy IDE cable instead of a shot mobo as I'd originally thought. I was so happy I started to tell her all about it and she just started talking about something else entirely and cut me off mid-sentence :( .

Anyway, nice one Arroyn. Touch wood, I get barely any spam or phising emails at all, I'm very selective about who I give my email addy to.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  4. Arroryn

LOL!

That happens when me and my BF talk, around family and friends. He's an electrician and has a small obsession with PCs - so when we get into full swing, people around us start dropping like flies. We've already said moving in together would create the most boring bookcase selection in the UK, between his wiring regs and my collection of Cert books.

5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I only wish I could find a woman who want fall asleep when I start talking about CPUs and GPUs and IDEs without her looking at me like I am from another planet...but hey at least my PC understands me....:biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

when my RIS server setup worked first time round i was over the moon and i tried explaining to my GF that this was one mean task to do first time and she was like : So? its only a computer? :twisted:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Arroryn,

If you want a spam filter take a look at SpamAssassin. It was originally designed to run on *nix, but I'm pretty sure there is a port to Windows.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  8. Arroryn

Thanks Freddy, I'll give it a look :)