Video: They shall not pass - this bill!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zxspectrum, Mar 29, 2010.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well ive just seen this report, kindly posted by Ken and to me it seems like a case of they dont like it up em.

For years the record industry has taken the piss with the way it has charged extortionante amounts of money for albums and singles, regardless of who is producing them, if there was a fair and set way of obtaining these for a fair price im sure the average person would be happy to pay for them.
    I remember as a young kid, badly wanting one tune for whic i paid through then nose for as it was on an album, and getting told be the shop ownwer that it was the tune i was after. However when i got it home it bwas a totally different version to what i wanted, and i couldnt exchange or get a refund because id played it on a cd player.

Now i also remeber that days of a sonr being able to get to number 5 in the charts on pure airplay alone, the song was a simply red , and i think it was fairground, whihc was thier comeback song. This was basically played by nearly every commercial radio station to get it to the number 5 position, which is somewhjat unfair.

The record industry has had it too good for too long and the fact that albums and singles are a lot cheaper than what they used to be shows this, i remeber the likes of a now album costing £16 compared to ones nowadays costing £9.

They may and try and sy its because they dont have tosell it via the usua way, etc, actual printed CDs etc, but as we all know the record industry is basically taking the piss, and they hate it whe we get our own back.

It also applies to software and filme, how many times have you gone to watch a filme where it is stated that it is a mcu see film, yet it is apure let down, and can you get your money back??? Or where an operating system like vista has been championed as the next best thing, but really was papp, but you still paid through the nose of it.

Thats one reason why piracy is a rife as it is, sure there will be piracy no matter how cheap stuff is, but if prices were frair, then im sure the majority of people would pay a fair price. How about microsoft word, the differences between 2003, 2007 and 2010 are very miniscules, it seems to be the same program with different layouts??? Or am i missing somthing???

Feel free to correct me, which im sure you wiill

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Len

Len Byte Poster

I agree

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
    Certifications: BND IT Practitioners
    WIP: Comptia A+
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

2 things:

1. This conversation could have taken place in the thread which accompanies the original news post.

2. Portraying those who indulge in the theft of copyrighted material as some kind of modern robin hood stealing from the evil record companies, fighting the injustice of CD/DVD/book/parctice exam producers charging a reasonable sum for the material they create is a) overdone and b) a load of old horse poo. If you don't agree with pricing, don't buy it. In a free market economy its your choice whether you spend money or not, choosing to steal someones work because your too tight fisted to pony up the cash is utterly ridiculous.

Please stop trying to justify breaking the law and don't claim 'if prices were fair people would pay' because people won't, why pay when you can just get it for free? It doesn't hurt anyone anyway right?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Microsoft is starting to understand that some people just cant afford to pay £100s for some software so they give away a lot of software to students.

And spotify for music

If you can afford to buy it they is no excuse really.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There is no excuse whether you can afford to buy it or not. Is it OK for me to steal whatever I want just because I can't afford to buy it?

You don't have a right to steal what I worked hard to create. Or what a movie company worked hard to create. Or what a musician worked hard to create. Or what a software developer worked hard to create. It's not yours to steal.

Doesn't matter whether it's good or poo. The argument that you HAVE to steal something to try it out for an extended period before you buy it simply doesn't fly these days. After all, you don't steal a TV or a refrigerator or a car before you buy it just to see if it's any good... you read reviews and see it in the store and take it for a test drive before you buy it. So if you want to know if software is any good, download an official demo before you purchase it - not a pirated copy. If you want to know if a movie is any good, read reviews and watch previews before you go (or simply don't go - it won't kill you to miss a "must see" movie). If you want to know if a CD is any good before you buy it, there are song samples of most audio CDs on Amazon that you can listen to legally.

Copyright is copyright. If you don't like the price or the terms of the copyright, simply don't buy it. But that doesn't give you the right to steal it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I'll disagree with this part,

iTunes has proven this, being able to get the song you want for 99c? there's a reason iTunes is the number one, and that's it, people will pay a just price for a bit of entertainment
    the reason we see ourselves in the situation we are, is because people will also pay an stupid price for entertainment, over here people think nothing of spending a few hundred bucks to go see a football game, but whine about how much it costs to park

and to the original poster

its all about perceived value.. people feel that a few hours at a football game they enjoy is worth the money, but paying for the car to sit around doing nothing is not valuable (try get them to take the bus though!)

your basically saying when you make the wrong call, your percieved value is 0 and you want your money back, but thats a risk vs reward scenario that you perhaps failed to properly assess, why not wait till the movie comes out on DVD and rent it? I can rent movies for $1 a night, you could of had a trial of Vista to test it out, if you didn't like it, don't use it

the only part of your argument i get is that 1 good song is often bundled on a crappy album just to sell the album.. iTunes negates this, as does Amazon MP3 and plenty of other places that sell individual songs

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Whilst I agree with you Mike, lets get that out of the way straight away, stealing = bad
    I'm going to call you on this typical BS comparison that most IP arguments degenerate into

If i buy a TV, or a Car, or a refrigerator, or most material articles for that matter, I can often return them, for a full refund, if i so much as don't like it (YMMV, this is store, purchase, area dependent etc)
    this is one thing that piracy has caused those who trade in IP to remove the rights to, and give me some half implemented demo to compare against, and strict EULAs that prohibit return of 'used' products, really? opening the shrink wrap to a CD and using it, finding it was crap and wanting my money back is a no no? because I 'might' of copied it? gee if i wanted a copy i would of just downloaded it!

does the freezer in my fridge freezer not work during the first two weeks? does my TV only display black and white? does the audio / heating in my car not work during a test drive? (not the best examples, because I don't get any of them on a trial basis, I can risk paying the full money knowing i can return it if i am unsatisfied!)

IP creators have deemed the risk of piracy high enough to remove some fundamental consumer rights and hide behind copyright law with it (no sir, you ran our software you are not eligible for a refund) that's their choice, but I guarantee you that fuels piracy just as much as it negates it, if not more so, the risk is now that i spend the money to see if 'the full version' is what i want, with no recourse for a return, thus my risk has increased, piracy is deemed LESS risky to some as a first step, this will probably last until they get their first letter through the mail LOL

to the OP, whilst I may be discussing the finer points of IP copyright law with Mike here, I still agree with him, stealing is stealing, speak with your wallet, if people actually didn't buy ****, it wouldn't get sold for long, your voice counts, but only in so much as it's denting somebodies profits somewhere, if you don't like a strict EULA, don't buy the software, tell your buddies not to buy it either, if their bottom line changes significantly enough, they will adjust their business model, that's just good business!

hence why I buy very little music these days, most of it is ****e, and i don't very often feel the need to add to my classic rock collection with this modern day ****e :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0