Victim comes face to face with man who used his unsecured wireless network

Discussion in 'Just for Laughs' started by Modey, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

A scheme created by the Metropolitan Police is forcing internet wireless thieves to meet their victims face to face and apologize.

The first such encounter took place this week in the presence of a women police officer and a counsellor, who has been helping the victim of the crime rebuild his life after having a stranger access the internet via his wireless broadband server. Full Story here

:)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  2. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

please tell me this is a joke..... havent they got anything else to spend their time/resources on? What about the drug dealers, rapest, pedophiles.... its ****ing stupid "Armed officers.." ?!!!??!!! how much of tax payers money is that... "It was horrible’ wept victim Ken Jameson" someone needs to get a damn life.... a grown man actually crying due to someone using his internet? LOL what a MUG!

3. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

lol oh wait i just clocked what this is :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

4. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

people should have atleast WEP turned on, i constantly wander through london searching for WLANs on my N95 :)

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

LOL That's classic!!:p:D

Freddie fingers:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  6. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I liked the Veteran Tomato Tin Denter Retires... ROFL

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

People should also leave their doors and windows locked... but it doesn't make it OK for someone to intrude into my house if my front door is unlocked. :dry

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Yes, sometimes even the wrong person gets the blame. My brother in law live in a farmhouse with a big barn. In that barn is his dog. I thief gets in and the dog comes after the thief. He escapes but just.
    A few days later my brother in law get summed by the police to keep his dog on the lease (in the barn).
    It turned out the thief had complained.....

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Nice analogy
    but if you put your sofa in the street outside your house would it be ok for me to sit in it?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. BosonMichael

That's where your analogy falls apart. It's my signal, no matter how far it goes outside my property. Thus, "the sofa" remains on my property.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

actually once the sofa is off your property, your the one at fault, not the person sitting on it

should people not be forced to make best efforts to limit the range of their wireless to their premises? or is spamming the whole neighbourhood with a clear signal then whining about it ok?

yes its your signal, and you have made no effort to secure it, or keep it inside your premises
    so who's at fault? I personally feel both of you are

climbing through your window and stealing your TV is a crime sure, but if you leave your TV out in the road for a week, I don't imagine it would be there for long, and I don't think you would have a leg to stand on in most courts of law

the signal is your property? great, but if you want to go down THAT route it wont be long before someone starts suing someone for some form of forced communication (as that's what a beaconing AP is technically doing), also signal interference could also become 'unlawfully impeding a communication signal' if your AP is interfering with mine, or your microwave is, perhaps I should have grounds too, remember, its YOUR signal

Again it comes down to people wanting the best of both worlds, as usual, you want to saturate your entire block with a signal, but you want to get pissed when someone uses it
    Limit the signal, protect the signal, or deal with the consequences I say

Do I connect to non public APs? hardly ever, but I still don't agree with the poor approach to dealing with the problem on one side only.

just my 2c

12. BosonMichael

When that happens, then yes, people will have to get control of signal leakage. Until then... people will continue to be ignorant and do nothing about their wireless security.

Still, it doesn't make it right for someone to intercept signals that aren't theirs to intercept. We've got wiretapping laws against intercepting electronic communications. I can easily tap into my neighbors phone system, even outside of their property... but if I'm caught, I'll be found guilty. Same with wireless.

13. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

I suppose were beating around different sides of the bush
    i in no way condone intercepting communications, phone or otherwise
    but if you could plug a phone into someone else's line and use it, is that intercepting? or just unlawful use?
    and if someone had that phone hanging out on a pole outside their property, for all to use, again is it wrong to use it?

i think thats the thing that gets me with wireless access, if you want to keep it to yourself i suggest you make sure your the only one who can use it :)

I understand your point mike, and like i said earlier I'm not saying its right, I'm just throwing around a different point of view :)

14. BosonMichael

In that case, it's just unlawful use. It's also unlawful use to attach a butt-set to an outside line off property and use it (which is possible... not that I know anything about that...I can neither confirm nor deny...). ;)

I agree that people should keep their signal locked up... just like people should keep their houses secure. If you don't, then you're just ASKING for someone to intrude (or worse).

15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if you connect to someone elses electricity then thats stealing, using someone elses network is also stealing in opinion.

In the area where I live prople leave there doors unlocked we even leave a key on top the doorway to get in but that does not give anyone the right to enter.

If someone did who I did not know then they'd get hurt as they are tresspassing or stealing my own personal space, but as I live a friendly area people walk in and out of each other houses all the time, but we all know each other.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  16. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

still think people should know what having wireless entails and how open it leaves their data by not securing their connection.

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  17. BosonMichael

They *should*, yes. So are you going to tell them? Because most of them don't know, and have no real way of finding out. They're not techs; we take things like that for granted because we are techs. The wireless device vendors don't warn them enough, in my opinion. Plus, most customers just "want it to work"... they don't care to read up on it to get it to work *correctly*. Again, yes, they *should*.

18. greenbrucelee

I agree as BM said the un educated computer user does not understand nor do most want to as they believe its to technical for them or it really doesn't concern them.

An uneducated user of a pc with an internet connection doesn't know what a firewall is, wouldnt be able to configure one because they buy thing like mccafee and Nortons and expect it to do the job.

I would love a job were I went round people houses or businesses setting up their computers and setting appropriate security measures and at least trying to explain to them why they need frewalls and what could happen if they didn't have one etc.

19. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Where do you live? I might have to pay a visit :D:D:D:D:D:D

20. greenbrucelee

If we knew you, you would get right in but if we didn't then my dog would have something to say :D or eat :twisted: