Very Poor Internet Connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Weemez, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I know they are available, im not disputing this, but are you suggesting that everybody with a broadband issue goes out and buys one, or would you agree that testing with an alternative filter would be easier as most people get 2 filters with their router.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Mick,

See above for how to connect router to outlet minus filter.
    As for the wiring, as Harry said: Bt have used the outlets described for some time now. The idea being, anything wired after the box can be isolated by removing the plate. If, you are talking about an older outlet, then the only way of removing the wiring is physically disconnecting the extensions connected to it. They can then be re-applied using the punch-down tools readily availible.

Hope this helps,

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Raffaz

The iplate is only effective if you have extension sockets in the property. All the iplate does is isolate the bell wire, so if your confident with wiring then you can just disconnect this yourself and save some money. If you only have the one socket in the property then an iplate wont help :)

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Of course, although I believe the original statement was how to connect the router by itself to the main outlet minus a filter. The above posts tell you how to do this as will most service providers as a fisrt point of call.

Simon

5. Raffaz

Read my comments above mate :) I do this on a daily basis and wiring isnt always setup as it should be, im not saying what your suggesting wont work, im saying that its impractical to test this way for the average person with a BB issue.

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

If the wiring/equipment is causing the issue, then the person can either sort it out themselves, or pay BT to do it for them at quite a rate I believe!

Si

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yep. Most people don't have a clue about any of this apart from using the filter for the connection. This why there are two or more in the bb package as it's the most simplest task to check for bad connections.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Raffaz

Thats the thing tho. Star wiring isnt actually a fault, everything will work, it just stops you isolating the circuit. Also not everyone has a NTE5 socket, alot of people still have pre- NTE5 sockets but BT wont replace all of them either, could you imagine how long it would take for BT to go out and get everyone setup to NTE5 sockets. The actual price is £116+VAT if i remember correctly.

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Bargain! :D

10. Raffaz

i'l take 2 please!:D