Very Poor Internet Connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Weemez, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Hey all!

My internet connection stinks, some days it can be down to 190kbps downstream and at most 600kbps. I'm with Orange, it has only been this bad since i moved to this house, i live in Inverness so i'm not in the middle of nowhere (well to some of you i might be!).

I have tried a different laptop, PC, changed from my wireless router to my speedtouch modem, different filters aswell. I've ensured my router is plugged into the master socket in my living room, taken off the face plate from the master socket and patched into the test socket and still no difference. I have carried various speed tests online and this just confirms my poor connection and this also tells me that i can probably only achieve 2mb with the exchange i'm connected to but even that would be great just now.

Not sure what to do next, do i probably just have a crap line, my neighbour round the corner is achieving 2mb with Orange (same isp) but i can't. I'm reluctand to get BT on the case just incase they do have to do something to the line and charge me a fortune for it!!

Has anyone got any idea?

Any response much appreciated.

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

prob line test

3. Ozzy2k7

Ozzy2k7 Nibble Poster

I would call orange to ensure they have your line set correctly. If your line can only take upto 2mb & they are trying to put more down the line it can knock it out. Also they may have a capp on the line (although seems unlikely with your problems)

Do you have any noise on the phone line? if you have noise when only the phone is connected the call BT (BT will only charge if the problem is inside the house) if you have noise when the router is connected call Orange.

Without noise margin & line attenuation figures I cant help more than that.

WIP: A+ Network+
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Plug the adsl device in to the master socket by itself and without a filter. Re-try. If functioning correctly (try several times throughout the day to ensure it isn't due to excessive traffic elsewhere), then you may well have a problem within the house - extension or device that is causing it to malfunction.

If your device will report the attenuation (noise on the line), and assuming it is high, then report it to BT. They will usually say as long as it doesn't effect voice calls it doesn't matter so put the pressure on your provider: you are paying for something which doesn't function as you would expect.

Some good material here.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I thought an advertised 2 meg connection usually ran at 200ks give or take ? and could it be Orange are capping download speeds in the area durign peak times ? like Virgin do ?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  6. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Is it just a peek times or all the time? also if it is over your phone line and orange id 8 meg you are fighting of a section of 8 make. So if more people are using ADSL in your area then you will have more people fighting for the same bandwidth.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. dwhyte85

dwhyte85 Nibble Poster

If you're along way from the exchange they may say tough boobies and say that's all they can do, they can lower the speeds to make it more stable after doing line diagnostics (this should have been done on installation day), but sounds like you don't want it much slower!

In my times dealing with home users where I have to troubleshoot before logging faults with BT, i've had a few where the actual line is damaged or (BT Engineers) have pooped up at the exchange, best bet is to call up and state you've done speed tests etc and tried all of things you've mentioned, always mention you've tried a power cycle or they'll make you do it first thing. Worth bearing in mind that during peak times (eg, evening and weekends) you will probably see worsening speeds and performance.

I hope you get it sorted, i have to say i think your chances are limited as Orange have crap customer service

Certifications: Bsc. Comp Sci, MCP, MCTS, MCSA, CCENT, MBCS
    WIP: ICND 2, CEH and converting MCSA to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  8. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Mr cheeks, Ozzy2k7, Boyce, Westerkings, Gingerdave and dwhyte85 thank you for your input. I will carry out the advice given both with BT, Orange and patching in without filter.

These line speeds are continuous all through the day so i don't think its an issue with other many users. My neighbour with Orange is getting close to 2mb at the same time i'm getting these crap speeds. Will let you know results.

Thanks again guys. :thumbleft

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  9. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

You mention that your only getting between 190k and 600k, is this when you run a speedtest (throughput)?
    What sync rate are you getting, is it alot higher than 600k?
    If it is alot higher than 600k then check in your hub settings for dropped connections, if that isnt there then look at the connection uptime to see if that ties in with how long your hub has been on. If your getting dropped connections then this will prevent the b-RAS from increasing which in turn will give you slow throughput.

Also check www.samknows.com and enter your postcode in there to get an idea of the distance you are from the exchange.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  10. Raffaz

Alreet mate, can you explain this a bit more, im confused lol. Surely if he plugs the router in without any filter then it wont get sync.

11. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

<Cough> The filter is to keep the ADSL signal out of the phones, not for the router. So using a filter *on* the connection to the router will kill the signal stone dead! <grin>

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  12. Raffaz

My comment still stands. If i test my router without filter then i get no sync. The only time we test without a filter at work is when there is a possible PSTN issue and we want to check the line for noise.

13. hbroomhall

That's because you have other things plugged in - and the filter is needed for them. Boyce's comment said to plug in the router *without anything else connected*. If the master socket is a NTE5a then plugging into the test point inside will also isolate your phones and wiring.

In that condition no filter is needed - and it is better to not use one to avoid complicating the result.

Harry.

14. Raffaz

I know what he said and i still stand by what im saying, also how does the average broadband customer connect their ADSL router direct to the test socket when routers use a RJ11 connection on the filter?

15. Ozzy2k7

Ozzy2k7 Nibble Poster

I agree with you, while filters can effect the signal changing the filter is all that would be needed. A working filter wouldn't effect the signal to this degree.

@Weemez I would call Orange & get them to check your line. I'll be interested to know what they say

WIP: A+ Network+
  16. Raffaz

Exactly, if you test with a different filter then that will confirm if there is a problem as you can woosh the circuit with 2 different filters and compare the SNR. Also, just because your connected to the test socket doesnt always mean that all other equipment is disconnected, an example of this is star wiring, this is where its wired in such a way that you still have dial tone to all equipment in the house even when connected to the test socket. Testing without a filter is impractical as doing this can cause issues in itself.

17. hbroomhall

Um - if a house is wired like this then, AFAIK, this is incorrect. The whole point of the NTE5 is that removing the plate to get at the test socket should isolate the house wiring.

Harry.

18. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

New environment may also suffer interference at the main plate, a I plate is always worth a last try I believe BT is building them into new sockets

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  19. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Mick,

There are RJ11 > "BT Plug" leads availible. There are also "BT male plug" > RJ11 female adapters" availble. This would enable you to connect your equipment minus the filter.

An example of the adapter is when a laptop is purchased.
    As for the leads, I think most of the comm's places sell them, not sure about Maplin.

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  20. Raffaz

Exactly, it SHOULD isolate the internal wiring. That isnt always the case tho, so its impractical to test the way your suggesting. You also havent answered the small point about how to connect a router to the test socket when it uses RJ11 connection. We can pass this back and forward all day but what your suggesting is totally impractical. I do this testing on a daily basis and we dont test how your suggesting, now surely if your way was the best then BT would do it.