Verification of exams

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ricky77, Apr 5, 2010.

1. ricky77

ricky77 New Member

Hi All

I have taken the MCSE, CCNA, Cisco BCMSN, and a couple of other exams.

Recently, I've been offered a job and, as part of the pre-employment screening, they need to verify that I have passed the exams that I have said. Fair enough.

With Microsoft exams., it's easy - I have a transcript sharing tool, or otherwise they can just use my MCP ID to show I've passed them.

However, my CCNA expired in 2008 (which I wrote on the CV, so no problem there). I emailed Cisco, and they said that since I was no longer certified, they could not validate to 3rd parties which exams I had passed...aaargh!!

Same with Citrix - I have passed the PS 4.0: Admin exam, but didn't complete the CCA. Citrix are saying, fine you passed the exam, but since you don't actually have the CCA Cert, we can't validate individual exams.

Anyone know how I can do this? I've emailed Prometric, but no answer yet!

Any help appreciated.

2. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

Have you web account with cisco? perhaps on there, surely it would have details of previous certs held?

3. ricky77

ricky77 New Member

Hi there

Yep, for both Cisco and Citrix, I can log onto their website and can see that I have passed the exams I said, when I said I had. So no problem there.

The possible issue is how to confirm to the company carrying out the verification that I have passed them. Both Cisco and Citrix are saying they have a tel. number that 3rd parties can call, and they will verify if someone is currently certified. This does not include partial certifications or expired certifications.

Short of giving the screening company my Cisco/Citrix web username/password or a screenshot from the webpage, I'm not sure what I can do?

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

So explain that to them, put the onus on them to find out, you are offering them one solution (screenshots) let them work out another way.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If your CCNA is expired, then you are no longer certified. It doesn't matter if you were certified in 2005 or not... you can no longer claim to be CCNA certified, and you cannot advertise that you are CCNA certified. So it doesn't really matter if you print off screenshots or not... you are no longer recognized as a CCNA.

If it is important enough for you to advertise that you hold (or once held) the CCNA certification, it should be important enough to stay certified or to get recertified, shouldn't it?

Sorta the same thing with the CCA... if it's important enough to say you've taken Citrix exams, it's important enough to take all the exams in the cert track. Otherwise... there's really not much you can really tell prospective employers.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Michael I think the point is more that he has experience in Cisco technologies than saying he is CCNA certified as he has stated it expired in 2008. Personally I would of done the same on my CV to show I used to be certified and have the knowledge.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  7. BosonMichael

Then he should simply and correctly state that he has experience in Cisco technologies.

I'm not saying what he should or shouldn't do... but according to the certification agreement between him and Cisco, he's not legally allowed to use the CCNA acronym if he's no longer certified.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Personally I would just put previously CCNA certified. I get what your saying but think it would be beneficial to mention it.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  9. SuPaStA

SuPaStA Nibble Poster

Sometimes there is no point to recertify and hence people leave the exam to expire but its always worth putting it on the CV.This lets the employer know that you had the skills etc to pass the Cisco exam, as there are tons of people out there who put down "cisco ccna" yet have never attempted the actually exam.

Also I think you not allowed to use the Ccna "Logo" (which I wouldnt bother putting on a cv anyway) but there is nothing that says you can't state you had been certified at one point.

Certifications: CCNA,MCSE,ITIL,Server+,Security+,N+...
    WIP: CCNP
  10. BosonMichael

The Logo Agreement covers not just the logo, but all of the Cisco trademarks (CCNA, CCNP, etc.). According to 4.2 (e), the agreement is terminated by:

and per 4.4 (bolding added)...

I seriously doubt Cisco's gonna come bangin' on someone's door to ask them to remove "previously CCNA certified" from their CV... but by law, they have the legal right to do so.

11. AuRoR

AuRoR Bit Poster

As long as he is clever with the wording he will be fine.

"shall cease to represent his or herself as Cisco Certified" - to me that means he can't say he is Cisco certified. Saying that he once was is fine.

Just explain to them and show them live on a screen. If they aren't happy then maybe they could give you conditional employment on the basis that you will have it updated within x months.

Good Luck!

Certifications: GNVQ ICT, Nat Diploma IT Practitioners
    WIP: Head above water
  12. BosonMichael

"cease use of the Marks" seems pretty clear to me. <shrug>

13. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

If you have an online prometric account you can view your exam history. This shows all exams you have taken, even those you have failed, and their status, i.e. passed.

This may be enough to meet your needs.

p.s. I know this thread is a couple of weeks old, but I'm trying to catch up with posts!