VCP5 exam/course

Discussion in 'VMware Certifications' started by Beerbaron, May 10, 2012.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Reading threw it myself at the moment, think I'm about half way.

Have you been on your course yet?

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

No not yet. I'm in the process of setting up a small lab and I have some training videos that I was given that I'm still watching. Still got the other 3/4 of the book left as well. I want to cover a lot more before I go on the course so that I can get the most out of it. It probably wont be until toward the end of the summer.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. Beerbaron

Back from my holiday so need to sort out booking the course. Do course providers notify VMware upon completion of an authorised course or is this something i do once i have passed the exam?

Thanks.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

As long as it's an accredited training center then it's all covered. You should go through the registration process in the class to register on the VMware site and then be given all the class details by the instructor so that you're loaded onto the class.

You then need to attend all the training (there is a break point on missing days where if you miss too many you won't be shown as having attended the class) and once the class is complete the instructor will notify VMware about your attendance.

It is possible to sit the exam before attending the course but of course you won't achieve VCP status until both exam criteria are achieved.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Beerbaron likes this.
  5. Beerbaron

I'm definitely going to sit the course not just to be certified but to get the extra skills. I'm probably looking to do the course in the first 2 weeks of December. I need to do my research on training providers as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Im currently looking at VMware Training Special Offers - globalknowledge.co.uk as recommended. Can you barter with training companies as there are so many providers?

6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Have a chat with 360GSP about courses, they also offer weekend training as well.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Beerbaron likes this.
  7. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

You kindly provided this to myself before, thought I'd have another look...

I'm really tempted...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
    Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  8. Beerbaron

This is definitely more appealing at that cost.

SimonD, have you used these guys before?

9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Thats who I did my VCP 4 training with, if\when I have money to do another course that I am paying myself I will definitely be using them again (weekends for me at the time were preferential as I was contracting). I also sat my exam at their testing center as well (a few months later).

Well worth having a chat with them, mention my name if you go (never hurts to let them know I am sending people their way).

drum_dude likes this.
  10. Beerbaron

I had a quick online chat with someone at 360gsp and they have sent me some info by email. They are currently booked up until November 3rd. Their lay out is 4 x 2 days over 4 consecutive weeks (sat, sun or mon, tues). You can choose what date you want to start it.

drum_dude likes this.
  11. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Thanks for this. It would be easier for me to travel by train, but seeing as its Sat and Sun... I think it may be better to stay in a hotel over night? Do they do open return tickets? Because otherwise, I would have to pay the same amount to get back on the Sunday and may just be cheaper to travel by train both days and skip the hotel to save money... (depending oh how much the hotel is compared to time travelling :o)

Looks like I can... hmmm decisions!

- - - Updated - - -

Just thinking, what is parking around there like? and how much? (any onsite parking?) I know I should ask him... will try tomorrow! Would take 2hrs 13 mins from car (same as train) but may work out a little cheaper and reliable :o

12. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Onsite parking with security, I drove every weekend from Colchester to their office and it was ok.

csx and 360gsp Angel like this.
  13. Beerbaron

I just Google mapped the office to see the parking round the back.

Edit:

Just got a call due to 2 cancellations so am booked on the course for sat\sun for September. Looking forward to getting started now :D

14. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

I'm booked in for 3rd November - could've taken 1st September... still debating... doing my ICND2 studies and don't want to overload myself too much!

Lets us know how you get on Beerbaron :)

- - - Updated - - -

Decided to go ahead for the 1st September, is this when you start Beerbaron? if so shall hopefuly see you there! :)

Also mentioned you SimonD! :)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
    360gsp Angel likes this.
  15. Beerbaron

Yep 1st Sept. I thought they were booked up or did she give you the 2 brothers dropped out due to a death in the family speech? :)

I was told there is no student parking due to some change and to call the women back to see if she could sort something out.

360gsp Angel likes this.
  16. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

All was mentioned was that 1 space was available as two dropped out... I was told that there is onsite parking and its free? I may confirm once I get the confirmation email etc. Little worried now, looking at Google maps there might be some parking on one of the roads?

17. Beerbaron

My emails came the next morning as signed up the night before. I completed the form and set it back. I queried my student id a few days ago but haven't had a reply to my email yet :(

18. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

They said Tuesday to receive emails... I asked why so long, apparently they got loads to do relating to a level results? not sure if that's affecting you. May be worth giving them a call?

360gsp Angel likes this.
  19. Beerbaron

I was told the admin team weren't in until the morning so I assume there must be something they do manually before you get the emails. I will give it until Tuesday.

360gsp Angel likes this.
  20. 360gsp Angel

360gsp Angel New Member

Hey everyone,

How is the training going? any comments !! and I really do apologise for the late reply in regards to the emails which was supposed to be sent to everyone on time, and speaking of parking I hope everyone has their space now :-) if not please email me and I will arrange it.