VCP 5 or VCAP-DCD

Discussion in 'VMware Certifications' started by craigie, Nov 19, 2011.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Not sure what certification to go for next. I have recently completed a VMware Design Course which I really enjoyed, and my job role is to design infrastructures so the VCAP-DCD seems ideal.

However I do want to upgrade my VCP to 5 before the end of February which would mean I dont have to attend another ICM course.

What would you do? Don't have time to do both as I'm full on at work, performing several capacity plans for some massive infrastructure refreshes so I'm time limited.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. scott28tt

scott28tt Byte Poster

Which of those 2 certifications do you see as more important to you personally?

You wouldn't have to attend a vSphere 5 ICM, the What's New course would be sufficient.

Certifications: VCP2, VCP3, VCP4, VCP5, VCAP4-DCA, VCI, MCSE (NT-2003)
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Good question Scott, I would say the VCAP-DCD as this is what I do and I prefer the design aspect to the actual installation.

I have only been performing VMware designs since March this year, some on Essentials Plus, some Standard and some Enterprise. Don't really have that many clients with a need for Enterprise Plus.

The design element is really interesting as it isn't just VMware, it's the SAN, is this Fibre or iSCSI, the networking and also the capacity plan for the new infrastructure, do you go for N+1 and N+2.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5