VCA workforce mobility... Passed

Discussion in 'VMware Certifications' started by Kitkatninja, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Woohoo... Passed a VMware exam :)

Ok, ok, it's the associate exam, but it's my first VMware cert so it's kinda nice....

The free "3 hour" learning video is the only study resource I used, I did have some basic knowledge of the software (but really basic). I'm pretty sure I was a lot longer than 3 hours studying for it though.

Just now waiting for the cert to come thru (I believe that VMware just do electronic one now?)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

I have been considering taking one of the new VCA exams. I have a couple of questions... did you have to pay for the exam as I seem to remember someone in a previous thread said the exam is free until the end of September? Also I couldnt see any of the free training on the VMware website, do you need to register for the exam before you get access to the free training video?

3. Kitkatninja

The exam is free until the end of Sept, provided you use the code (on another thread), otherwise its 50% off.

The free eLearning, I believe is available after you register with VMware, at this point you don't have to register for the exam. However you do have to get authorisation from VMware to sit the exam, which is basically using one of their online forms.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Ah I didn't realise they were free for everyone until end of September. Might have to squeeze some of these in. Stop copying my certs, Ken ;)

Where's this code, then :D

In all seriousness, I think I'm going to tackle all of their VCA offerings. The only other vendor certs I've done are CompTIA and would like to check out the format, and get a smattering of VMware under my belt before tackling something more complex.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. Kitkatninja

*hey Arroryn, it's in the other VCA thread ;)

If I had the time, I'd do the other VCA exams, however as I've got my EMA to finish off for the T848 and it's worth 50% of my module grade, it's (VMWare) is going to have to take a back seat :(

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  6. Arroryn

I found it, thanks Ken. But the Pearson site keeps chucking me out when I checkout :( they don't want to give me free exams!

7. paulomac

paulomac New Member

Hi Arroryn, i was having the same trouble as you. I gave them a ring and they did it all over the phone :D

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, VCA-DCV
  8. Kitkatninja

Yeah, the online booking doesnt' work, when you ring them up just let them know that you're having issues scheduling the exam.

9. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

If the VCA exams are only available online then how do Pearson Vue verify you are who you say you are? Someone could register and have someone totally different sit the exam...

10. Arroryn

They could, but registering is such a ballache in the first place ;) and they're only junior entry level certs. Nothing to be lauded on the CV, just a nice little addition. Not exactly a VCP. Nothing to really gain by proxying the exam.

11. Kitkatninja

Put it this way, why would anyone do it like that? I mean, like Arroryn already said, it's a junior entry level cert, currently it's free and the training is free.

Anyone who really needs someone else to "sit" the exam for them, ain't going to amount to much :)

Apart from that, how is that any different from someone getting someone else to sit a proctored exam or sitting an open book exam?

12. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

I know where you are coming from, I just feel it devalues it a little. I know its not a top level cert but if they had the requirement to attend Pearson Vue to take the exam it could add value and gain abit more of a following. Thats just my thoughts on it.

13. Arroryn

I think the follower gain will be much higher because you can take it from home. My nearest test centre is 20 miles away. If they have no availability, 30 miles. The drive alone and the time spent would put me off doing an entry level cert but if I do it and like the format and find it useful going forward, then I could be tempted to do the VCP courses. That's just my perspective and situation though.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the follower gain will be much higher because you can take it from home. My nearest test centre is 20 miles away. If they have no availability, 30 miles. The drive alone and the time spent would put me off doing an entry level cert but if I do it and like the format and find it useful going forward, then I could be tempted to do the VCP courses. That's just my perspective and situation though.