vbs scripting

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by jec69, Apr 29, 2009.

1. jec69

jec69 Bit Poster

I'm currently studying the MS Press book 70-290, and i'm starting on chapter 3. In lesson 2: creating multiple user objects, they want you to learn to add users to active directory through automation, using vbs scripting, which they say the vbs scripting tutorial is on the CD. Well I never done vbs scripting at all or any other programing. My question is, does anyone know of any good books or guides for beginners on vbs scripting?

Certifications: A+ Network+
    WIP: MCSE
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I tended to find that the Hey, Scripting Guy! articles were quite good for showing vbscript applications, and explaining their uses. Not quite beginners, but they present it all in a humorous way.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

I asked the very same question to a colleague a few moths back, he recommended I forget about VB script and learn power shell.

Anyhoo, for vbscript This looks good and the price is right too.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Agreed, forget vbs and learn powershell.

5. LordMoolyBap

LordMoolyBap Nibble Poster

The powershell is pretty mean stuff this is a fairly good book on it as it has loads of examples... http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/reader/0735622795/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-page

You can do windows admin stuff in VB / C# .NET as well and this is probably the most powerful and flexible way. A lot of the stuff we write are server based executables running as timed tasks or as services.

Anyway if it is definitely VBscript then you can get a good idea about it by buying some old second hand VB6 books as the syntax is very similar and this book is alright. The guy who has given it a bad review feels he is too superior for the book so I wouldn't take much notice if you are a novice at it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Managing-Windows-VBScript-Authoritative-Professionals/dp/0321213343/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237813664&sr=8-1

Certifications: HND (Comp) MBCS
    WIP: Msc Intelligent Systems
  6. Fergal1982

bah. Powershell is for sissies.

In all honesty, by the time Powershell was released properly, I was out of the role requiring the use of vbs.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

But anything with VB in it especially vbs is for pansies ! :D

You could try something else python, perl, loads of it about, real men code in machine code !

8. Fergal1982

pah! I disdain your opinion! :biggrin

9. LordMoolyBap

LordMoolyBap Nibble Poster

I suppose it's about what you wanna do. If it's automating a couple of windows tasks then powershell, vbs is good.

Really if you want to play with the grown ups though you need to go for a .NET language like C#! 8)

Certifications: HND (Comp) MBCS
    WIP: Msc Intelligent Systems
  10. PAT

PAT Banned

11. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

^Looks good. I think I may get that ordered up. Before I do,can anyone else recomend a powershell book for an abslute noob?

I'll buget up to £30

edit. that book is on second edition but not in stock :rolleyes:

second edition

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA