VB.Net & C# - best method to learn both?

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by mark audio, Dec 2, 2011.

1. mark audio

mark audio Bit Poster

Not strictly a cert question but... I currently work on app support and developement on a bespoke system that uses VB.Net & OQL within its own .Net based IDE. I've learnt enough on VB & SQL to do my job and i'm trying to work out if I should focus on learning VB better or if I should start learning some C# & ASP.NET instead, as other apps in the company use these...

So basically i'm hoping someone that knows both languages can tell me what worked for them when learning .Net, will it be easy enough to learn them side by side or is it best to learn one fully first?

Thanks in advance!

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270
    WIP: Learning .NET
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

The differences are mainly minor syntactical differences.

They both have a mix of imperative procedural/OO/functional language features.

They both run on the same JVM and use the same libraries.

I'd say C# has more use on new projects than VB.NET, if you want to learn just one learn C#.

Whatever approach works for you, personally I'd expect you will progress faster learning one language in depth before learning others.

For the record I'm not really a VB or VB.NET programmer and have never written more than a few lines in either language. C# fits better with my C/C++/Java background.

Some people who are deeply entrenched in VB will most likely find the VB.NET route easier.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
    JonnyMX likes this.
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Basically what dmarsh said.

C# seems to be more 'useful', but for the record, VB is said to be easier to learn for those who have little prior experience in programming.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. lingmaaki

lingmaaki New Member

Look at the fllowing websites have simlar chapters in vb.net and c# and study both at same time. vb.net-informations.com and csharp.net-informations.com , so you can study side by side bothe languages.

ling.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012