VB Code for Shutdown App

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by shadowwebs, Oct 2, 2012.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

If action = "Shutdown" Then
    Shell("shutdown -t" & time _ "shutdown -s -f \\m" &workstation)

That is the code I have entered for it to look at variables I have set named "action" and "time" and "workstation"

Essentially, the application will look at what the user sets the "action" text to, in this case "shutdown", and then will look at what is in the "time" field and shutdown the computer based on this information.

It doesn't like the code however, and I know this is because I am trying to continue the Shell command across both the time field, action & workstation field on one line.

I did VB over 10 years ago, so to come back to it now is all strange so I know I am missing the obvious.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorted:
    If action = "Shutdown" Then
    Shell("shutdown –t " & time & " -s -f –m " & workstation)

- - - Updated - - -

oops, that hasnt worked either... any advice would be handy

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I would add in a basic MsgBox for debugging purposes. You can make sure your variables are being declared, and have the correct information in, so:

Code:
    MsgBox "shutdown –t " & time & " -s -f –m " & workstation
    Then make sure that the code displayed in the MsgBox is valid.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  3. shadowwebs

tested that, it came up fine in the msgbox... so that leaves extra confusion as to why it's not working still.

i shall continue to look

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  4. BB88

OK, try using something like this:

Code:
    Dim wshShell
    Set wshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    wshShell.Run "shutdown –t " & time & " -s -f –m " & workstation

5. shadowwebs

i have imported the code above and this comes up as 'wscript is not declared... does this need to be declared as a string also?

6. BB88

Which version of VB are you using?

7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

You say your code "doesn't work". Exactly what about it doesn't work? does it throw an error? if so, what?

BB88's code isn't going to work, because it's vbscript, not VB - which I'm guessing you are using.

Have you ensured that the action you are entering is exactly the text you are checking? i.e. that the case is correct? The code as you have it is case sensitive - so if won't match unless the action you enter is exactly: "Shutdown". if it's "shutdown" (i.e. no capital S), the if will fail.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. BB88