using Vmware for 291

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by steve_f, Oct 28, 2008.

1. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

For chapter 4 and 5 of the MS book, I am supposed to have 2 Windows server computers with specific IP addresses set up. That part is no problem. They also need to have internet access.

I have to bridge these computers to my physical network adapter in order to give them internet access.
    With the specified IP addresses, they won't get internet access via my router. If i change the IP addresses to be on the correct subnet as the router, will this cause problems when doing exercises in later chapters?

And will messing with DNS/DHCP settings mess up anything on my home network? Other people in the house need their net access too.

sorry if this is all a bit vague, just wondering how others got through these exercises.

Thanks

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Probably DHCP will as your router is most likely handing out IP addresses just now.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I use MS Virtual PC 2007 as my lab.

I have two adapters on my laptop a wireless one and the internal NIC.

I use the internal NIC for the MS Virtual PC domain on a 192.168.0.x and the Wireless on a 192.168.2.x for my internet.

By doing this I can play around with all the settings on 192.168.0.x and still have internet connectivity for everyone else!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

sounds good, thanks for the tip. If I do what you suggest, and also bridge the wired and wireless connections, this should give internet to the virtual domain, but shield the domain from the dhcp on my router. I think.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

In order not to mess your current computer or network setup, have a VMWare server or Virtual PC 2007 setup with a DC and one or two clients. The good thing with this type of setup means if anything is not configured properly it would only affect the virtual PC's and not your current system.

Do you have a date you'd be likely sitting the exam? I am preparing for this and most probably looking to sit the exam in Jan 09. I currently have a VMWare Server setup with windows server 2003 enterprise edition as a DC and DNS server.

Also a windows server 2003 standard edition as the DHCP server all running in a VMWare virtual environment, yep the wonders of virtualisation. Cheerio and keep us posted on your progress.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

thanks Onoski

I will not be ready but I am sitting it on November 29. I have no work holidays left, and Nov 29 is the last Saturday of the year that I'm free.

I have a 2nd shot voucher where I have to take the first attempt before Dec 31 2008.

I fully expect to fail on Nov 29, (I may not even have finished the book) but it will be a learning experience. I am working hard at it, only slowed down by lack of knowledge of Vmware!

Does your virtual domain have internet access then? I presumed internet access is needed for the DNS exercises but maybe not.

Good luck in yours.

7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

What you really need to do is set up a virtual server with multihomed network adapters. One adapter set with a static address which is part of your home subnet and also bridged to access that subnet. The second should be set with the static address in the range specified in your book (but with access to the virtual network only). Then setup that server to perform NAT (using RRAS) and also to forward DNS to your ISP's DNS addresses.

With a setup like that you will then be able to run DCHP on your virtual subnet without it affecting your physical home subnet and it will also give internet access to your virtual machines.

To be honest mate (and I'm not trying to be nasty here, just realistic) based on what you have described in your post, I would re-schedule your exam for a much later date. These kinds of issues you describe should be childs play if you are studying to pass the 70-291. If you don't already have real world experience of working with servers on advanced networking issues then you will find the exam very very difficult.

edit: PS. The above setup I described is much easier to achieve with Virtual PC 2007 (I found anyway) than it is with Vmware Workstation. As you have already found, the network settings on Vmware can get very complex very quickly. Virtual PC on the other hand is much more simple and easier to setup. Fighting with problems on your servers gets easier if you aren't also fighting with your virtual netwotk at the same time.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

Thanks Modey. You are right, I don't expect to pass in November, but it's a free shot at the exam. I reckon my re-take will probably be in March 09.

If I had a few spare PCs I think I could get this working easily enough, using 2 bridged network cards as described, but using Vmware with its extra layer of NAT and DHCP was screwing my mind a bit.

I must admit in my rush to prepare for the exam, I posted here looking for a quick fix, instead of spending too much time trying to get this working myself. I slap myself on the wrist for this.

Once I get my lab environment set up, I am looking forward to exposing myself to much bigger and more challenging problems in this area.

Thanks for your comments, and I will take on board your suggestions. I may try MS virtual PC as you say it's easier. I'd like to gain more VMware experience but now is not the time. I'm dying to get home and play with my virtual network now, but I have to go to the pub tonight with friends, first time in about 2 months. I'd rather be getting this network environment sorted!

9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

If you have the space / hardware a physical lab is great, but not always practical. Here is the one I setup when studying for the 291, if it's any use to you. (Fully physical, not virtual).

[​IMG]

Oh and GL with the rest of the studying.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Yep! my virtual domain has internet connectivity, using static IP on the servers and bridged network host on the VM's. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  11. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

Being a VMware n00b I didn't realise I could just add another virtual network adapter to a virtual machine!! This is the major missing link for me.

Having now realised this, I can easily set up a multihomed VM and get internet through that, as suggested here already.