Using encryption with Backup exec 12.5

Discussion in 'Software' started by Boycie, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

morning,

would anyone have any ballpark ideas (and options) on times this would add to a job?

currently backing up about 300gig to lto in about 11-12 hours.

Ta!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

No idea, perhaps run an additional backup over the weekend as a test.

Putting up security are we? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

aye, think i may have to run a test and see the difference. :biggrin

cheers sparks

4. Sparky

No probs, I would also test any DR procedures you have. For example if you were restoring on a new server with a fresh install of backup exec is the encryption going to cause you problems and also increase the time for the restore?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

very good point mate! i'll have to do a bit of research before saying we can "switch this on".

6. Sparky

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

The other thing I would ask is are you doing Disk - Tape or Disk - Disk - Tape?

Only reason I ask is that obviously backing up to Disk first will ensure you finish the actual backup of the machines faster and gives you more time to do the Tape portion of the backup because I have to admit that 300gb over 11-12 hours seems a tad slow to me.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

At work we use Symantec backup exec 12.5 and encrypted the tapes in the form of entering a password. I tried to decrypt one of the tapes just last week using different hardware unit but it just kept on asking for the encryption key over and over if after it's been entered.

I suppose maybe because it's on a different hardware unit, but would have to investigate more. To be honest we didn't test afterwards to see how it easy or difficult it would be to retrieve the data from the tape etc.

If I find more info I would let you know, but so far as I know you enter in a password in form on encryption.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell