Users

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by westernkings, Feb 12, 2010.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

It wasn't lambrini haha. It was a 1.6 Gallon bottle of Belgium st benards haha. One of only 149 in the entire world. Cost me a fortune. I brought it over on the flight when I first got it. I was just sat on the plane with this ridiculous bottle of beer getting some seriously funny looks. 6 bloody litres of it.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Don't post because I just haven't got the time anymore! give me 2 hours extra a day and I might. :biggrin

3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Oh mate. You have to get a job in IT. We get 8 hours a day to browse the internets and all that for £60k/year as soon as you finish Advent training.

Sorry. Could not resist

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Well I say lets make 2010 different and say "Come on you readers, get contributing! Ask questions, the more the better. Ever wondered why something is the way it is, how to do something quicker, how to fix something, what books we used to pass, ask, someone on here will know, BosonMike knows everything about everything so feel free to PM him about the Spanish Civil war or Quantum Mechanics!". Whats the worst that can happen, you'll probably end up making some good friends who have a different skill set to you and who are handy to ask if you get stuck. I asked Ken and UKDarkStar loads about the BCS because I didn't have a clue and ended up getting one of their top recognitions, the CITP. Had I not asked, I wouldn't have it. BosonMichael recently helped me with a CCNA Voice query. Dazza helped me with a critical incident on what flavour milkshake to go with my fries, the point is we all know something about various facets of IT, and enjoy helping people out. Its in the "support" part of our brains.

I myself have made many friends and am currently basking in the reflective glory of a beautiful bromance with my mancunian mortal enemy. . . er I mean friend, Westernkings

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Did you do it all in yourself mate? Belgian booze is dangerous, Stella is the weakest stuff you get here!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
    Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  6. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

Very nicely said JK! repped :D

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  7. westernkings

Nope, it is still bottled up in its wooden case. It is 15% volume which is nice and strong. I don't think i'll ever open it. I may get it out at a party one night when i'm drunk. Like a dom jolly moment with the gigantic phone. :)

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  8. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

15%, that is crackers!

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  9. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Well, after years of skulking in the shadows I have been inspired and have made the plunge to Premiumness. I guess I don't post as often as I should and this is going to change!! I guess I have not posted much because I am quite low in the IT knowledge food chain, so the least I can do is to part with some hard earned for the pearls I have received over the years. Reppage for Alex399 for showing the way! :thumbleft

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  10. westernkings

Do we get commission for drumming up so many new premiums? :twisted:

11. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

Well Cheers mate :D thats the message I intend to send across

:iluvcf so I went green! I went Premium! can you do the same, get enough people going green and we can have some kind of official service in place in terms of advice on IT related stuff then before you know it AJ will have his own Training Provider Buisness set up, hahaha :D

and yes I was jking... :rolleyes: I am just keen to encourage people to go Green as I think its appreciated alot more than people first assume

I don't know AJ personally and I probaly wouldn't have a clue who he is even if he passed me in the street, I did notice that Ferrari in AJ's profile pic though and drooled on my keyboard for a couple of seconds though but none the less I have donated my hard earned cash and I didn't feel like demanding a refund of my membership but felt good to give something to the CF community.

Do I make it sound like a charity...? I'm just saying give something back now and again, not because you feel like you should do to fit in, but because you want too, I felt better for it anyway and I now feel obliged to take part more in discussions on the forum.

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Probably right. :biggrin Can't please everyone, especially with the truth. You can offer water to a man dying of thirst, but he's gotta want to drink it.

Thank you for the compliment. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. BosonMichael

Heehee! Thank you for the compliment. In truth, the one thing I do know is that I don't know everything. The old adage is true that the more you learn, the more you realize how much there is yet to learn.

I agree that most people read without posting. It's been that way since the days of dial-up bulletin board systems (BBSs) in the 80s (and likely before that, though I wasn't part of online chat/forums until '82). So the question of, "How do you get people to post?" has been around for decades.

The answer, in my opinion, is that you can't force it to happen. You can encourage people to post... but they're not gonna post until they have something to say (and a reason to say it) and feel comfortable enough with the community.

There seem to be two types of people: initiators and responders. You can probably guess which I am... I rarely initiate new threads. I don't have questions, and I don't often strike up forum conversations from scratch. I'm that way on other forums as well - and on those forums where I don't have as much knowledge or experience, I don't post much at all (believe it or not! :p). I suspect that if I didn't have much experience with IT certification, I probably wouldn't post much here, either. I don't tweet, I don't blog, and I rarely post on Facebook, though I check Facebook every day. On the other hand, initiators start threads and ask questions... with some of them blogging and tweeting every minor occurrence that happens throughout their day. Perhaps there's some sort of psychological information buried in there just waiting to be analyzed... but suffice it to say that a forum needs BOTH types of people.

You know what brings people back to this site? The community. You guys - every one of you - collectively make the forum what it is. As JK correctly states, we all have something different to offer. I can guarantee you that this forum would not be as great if it was just me fielding questions from random passers-by who never stuck around.

Everyone has their own motives for being here. Some need questions answered. Some want to pass their knowledge and experience on to others. Some even want to spam the forums to promote their product or blog or website or company. But you can't MAKE someone do those things. People will post how they will, when they will. Best thing we can do is to be here and actively participate whenever someone posts.

So... feel free to PM me about quantum mechanics. But I would probably fail you with regards to the Spanish Civil War. :biggrin

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  14. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Looks like the love in has really started now then.....:p

Seriously though, BM is right (again) as much as we can encourage people to be more active they are under no real pressure to do so so many of them won't. Another thing to take into account is the fact that a lot of the questions which people have when starting on the road to certification have been answered on these fine forums.

I know when I first found this place it answered most of my questions straight off the bat (A+, N+, MCDST)

This place still has more and better active members than some other forums I could mention....

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  15. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I have been a member now for a few years, I check the forum several times a day at work I skip the usual posts which ask the same old thing but I guess the main reason i dont post much is usually because the question the people ask has already been answered or I dont know the answer.

Certifications: A few.
  16. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I can think of a few reasons why lurkers wouldn't post:

1 - they read the forums, find their answer, and don't need to ask it again
    2 - they already participate in forums elsewhere and can't be bothered with another one - this is me! I post a bit, but casually read at least once a day about 4/5 other forums, on varying topics - I never post on them because I simply don't want to spend the time on it.
    3 - reading this forum tends to give the impression we are made up of people who know a lot (BM, Qs, craigie etc.), those who have their feet planted in IT but aren't the nuts yet (me being one), and those who know diddley-squat about many things. I find these boundaries to be pretty accurate, and unless you land in one of them, you wouldn't know where you stand and so may not want to post as to be seen too cocky for one, but not big enough nuts to be the next one up.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  17. BosonMichael

Hilarity (and quite often, a bit of drama) ensues when someone thinks they're in one category when they should be squarely in another. :twisted: Entertainment galore! :p

18. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I can feel another bromance coming on . . . . . . :biggrin Why anyone would want to stay out of our conversations I don't know ha ha

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  19. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yup, ruthless, intimidating and sarcastic apparently. :rolleyes:

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  20. westernkings

You're proud of that ain't ya you little rascal you.