Users

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by westernkings, Feb 12, 2010.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Just purging home drives at the moment of ****, whilst browsing CF and wondered something; Why, when there is 101 people browsing the forum right now and that is a fairly consistent number, are we stuck with the same 20 or so posters? I think CF is a pretty popular forum for this topic, so why do people not partake in it? is it because JohnnyMX is ruthlessly intimidating and sarcastic? or because JK is too well groomed? or are they just lazy and don't want to give back? Do we even want more active members?

Can't help but wonder why the popularity of this forum doesn't reflect the true number of active members.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I blame BosonMichael. :D

It's because what he says is true and usually it's not what people want to hear.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. singe1642

singe1642 Bit Poster

Maybe it's because newbies like me, who've never really used forums before, do feel a little lost. It's like joining anclub and not really knowing anybody so we're quiet...except for me.
    As I've said before you sharing your knowledge and wisdom with us is a great help so thanks again.:)

WIP: CompTIA A+ Essentilas
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I can't understand it myself, I mean you can hide behind the keyboard anyway, it's different when you have met face2face and begin to actually know people but until that happens people should be happy to post online.

Obviously with me being the shy and retiring type I don't post often myself :biggrin

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. singe1642

singe1642 Bit Poster

Of course not SimonD :)

WIP: CompTIA A+ Essentilas
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Eh? I'm a pussycat mate. :ohmy

I think most people browsing are people who think they've been ripped off by training providers but are too embarassed to say so, and training providers keeping an eye out for students saying that they've been ripped off. :rolleyes:

Then of course there are those that see ANOTHER thread starting out 'I'm thinking of doing A+. Help me!' and think, christ, not again.

Me though, always happy to wade in and fight the same fight time and time again. :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Ah man you get a few eye brow plucks, follow a rigorous exfoliation and moisturising schedule, and a back sack and crack and all of a sudden your well groomed. . . . . I don't know.

I was going to give a PC answer but you know what, seeing as its Friday, I'm gonna tell you what I really think. I think. . . . . .that the likes of us who speak up are the ones with leadership skills, good communication skills, inquisitive minds etc.

How easy is it to sit there and NOT comment? I'm not saying everyone who just likes to read is this way, some are shy, embarrassed etc for what ever reason, but IMO people who are willing to share problems, debate, maybe even argue over an issue, are the kind of people who make this site what it is, a brilliant resource for advice. I like people who speak up so I'm not using my psychic powers as to what they're thinking; my telekinesis powers are also rusty these days. . . .

Probably going to get slated for that answer but its what was on my mind so I've wrote it. Apologies if it comes across as harsh, that is not my intention and also, its my hope that new members will chip in more and more as the site evolves. If anything this site has proved that all opinions are welcome.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. Povester

Povester Bit Poster

Is this not the case with the most internet forums? The majority of users will be browsing/silent readers and the more vocal users tend to be in the minority.

9. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

HAHAHAHAHA

I laughed out loud at work when I read that, I think Ive already had this with Boson :D

I make a point of reading through BosonMichael's posts if I quickly browse through a topic as there always straight to the point and very... factual I think is the right word to use :biggrin

You are being very mean if you give someone false hope as it wastes there time and your giving bad advice so that makes you a bad person I guess...
    Good on Boson for being honest and down to earth in terms of advice he's giving.

I like to think I partake in some Forum discussion but I don't want to sacrifice too much study time, don't get me wrong I do love this forum but at one point I found myself browsing this forum more than I was studying :eek:

The majority of people who come onto this forum are seeking help and advice for certifications they are about to take or any other form of education in IT perhaps or maybe just have an IT related question...

The way I see it is alot of people like to take advice but aren't going to go out of their way to see if they can return the favour by becoming a regular poster and giving advice to others who were in the same situation as they were in before hand.

I like to get my opinion across on here as I am still very much thick as **** compared to some of you guys in terms of my IT knowledge :D but I have now contributed towards the forum by becoming a premium member so that I feel good for.

On a side note I occassionaly feel discouraged to post my thoughts on a subject as I feel like my posts are invisible the majority of the time in some cases when I have a question I think to myself why bother asking,
    but I had a solution to that problem I became a prem member and now I have that bright green badge next to my name.

People need to give something back to the forum that has provided you with pricless advice
    GO GREEN! go Premium people! 8)
    and post when you feel you have advice that you can give to other members and don't forget to rabble on if you feel like doing so, just like I have done in this post! :biggrin

I take my hat off to anyone who reads my whole post :cheers I think I'm done now

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  10. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

I agree, I only joined CF in December, I think its a great site and is helping to encourage me finish my exams as I can look around and see people that have actually completed them that are in a nice job and understand what their talking about. Maybe one day I shall be the same :) If ever I have question I always ask on CF after googling as there may be so much info on Google. But it's not always answer and explanantions to the questions you want. I have everyone on here to thank for answering them and making me understand what I'm learning. So I guess if someone flicks through but doesnt ask any questions then there knowledge will only be limited to the same amount as the other users that flick through without thinking or trying to help someone. I guess if anyone has any questions feel free to ask as it helps when learning a lot :biggrin

Dave

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  11. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

+rep because, well, I agree....and the back sack and crack comment made me lol.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  12. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

C'mon then, hat off. Chop chop

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  13. westernkings

JK, I was going to get you a gift voucher for the local beauty spa for valentines because your eye brows need shaping again. No longer my friend, no longer. :D

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
    Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  14. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

I couldn't find a smilie taking off his HAT! :x

How about a beer for you sir! :morebeer 8)

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  15. JK2447

Ha ha ha mate its a good look, it suits you, bum bags are coming back in ha ha No good thread in all seriousness, so unlike you . . . . . .:twisted:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  16. westernkings

Haha, you know what's funny about it. Is that it's actually true. When you go abroad it's full of Mancunians like Dazza wearing stuff like that. Oh the horror. I'm from Salford by the way JK, better dress sense, but 500x more common. :biggrin

17. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Personally I think its more of a general issue really people will always browse sites (look at any forum and you will probably notice this). The reason I dont post much is because of the content which is either training provider rant/tittle tattle or arguing. Sorry but thats why I've stopped posting here so much, its not a slant or go at anybody but just why I tend to have a quick peek a couple of times a day, decide theres nothing new and move on!

Again its a personal feeling so not an attack by any means.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  18. JK2447

Ha ha I've seen pictures of you with your big bottle of lambrini, you looked quite stylish! You wanna see scousers abroad, lacoste shorts, liverpool top, shocking ha ha

19. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I think alot of people do find this site as they are starting out on the certification route or have just been ripped off by a tp.

The people i usually see posting are the members that have been here a while or have a good amount of certs under their name.

For myself, i am only on my second cert, so i try and post where i can but i dont have alot of expierence to pass on when people ask questions on training for this or that.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  20. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

If you do a search you'll find that we had pretty uch the same question last year, the year before and the year before that too. the concensus from those threads was basically "it's like that because thats the way it is". 8)

BTW, I almost spat my lunch all over my keyboard when I read about the back sack and crack.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
    Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685