Users,arrrrgh!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sparky, May 18, 2006.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Users, don’t you just hate them!

I find myself doubting why I ever got into IT in the first place, if I’m installing a network or just changing a mouse on a PC a user will always find something to complain about.

I`ll give you a few of examples from this week:

(1)
    User: I’ve spilt a cup of coffee on my laptop, will it still work?
    Me: Well let it dry out and then try it later on, if it doesn’t work then give me a shout.
    User: Ack, I really need it fixed today.

(2)
    User: I need another email domain set up for my company.
    Me: No problem, email me the domain you want and I will check if it is available. If it’s available then I’ll register it and it will take a couple of days to replicate.
    User: Ack, I really need this done today.

(3)
    User: Hi, I know you guys do the IT support for us but I’ve just bought 20 desktop PCs from ebay, they run Windows XP home edition and have Celeron processors. Can you install them on the network today. Also they seem to be slower than the Pentium 4 PCs you installed last week, can you ‘tweak’ them to go faster?
    Me: Well, Windows XP home can’t be added to your domain and Celeron processors are budget PCs so they will generally run slower than a P4 PC. I could order more RAM and upgrade the O\S to XP Pro if that would help?

(4)
    User: You won’t believe this but my business has burnt to the ground taking all the servers with it. I know you offered us a disaster recovery upgrade last month and we turned it down but is there anything you can do?
    Me: Well, I have the off-site backup tape here, the best thing I can do is to buy a new server, restore the data and then set-up all of the PCs. You will need to find a new building for your business and we will do the installation.

Ok, so I made the last one up but don’t you think users can be so unreasonable sometimes? I’ve been in IT for a few years and *everyone* I have met in IT has had a story to tell about a user from hell.

Anyone else got any ‘users from hell’ stories to tell? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

more or less like you... laptops are always wanted instantly! and people just think we keep spares of everything in our little stockroom! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

After a month of rolling out a new Citrix server (keeping the old one, of course, so that even the slowest on the uptake can be serviced) today we killed the old 'un.

This pompous spoiled kid (he's 50 I suppose) of a manager complains that he can't log in. Having been shown, taught, almost beaten with the way he should be logging in complained in the strongest terms to '[email protected]' that the IT department weren't answering his cries for help.

I watched the emails as the IT director, followed by the MD, General Manager, Finance Director and HR Director all suggested that he follow the instructions given to him in the earlier emails that they had all received from the IT dept.

Ack, I needed that today! :biggrin

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

School, Users = Teachers and Kids, 'nuf said! :eek:

5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

infact those should be the worst users! :biggrin - i remember when i was in school we used to hack the server! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I'm not going to say anything Simon only

Pupils = AAAaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Teachers = :snipersmi

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Yep user ignorance is bliss :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

I find that the ‘basic’ users are the easiest to deal with as they at least try to listen sometimes!

The worst as you all know are the users down ‘power corridor’ who think that the rules don’t apply to them. Over the last few weeks I have configured around 20 Dell Latitude laptops for all the managers who ‘need’ them (like they need their BMW’s to drive to and from work – I drive to all our sites everyday, do I get a company car? Exactly, but that’s another story) and every single one I have had back in the department for something or other.

What part of ‘Under no circumstances should users install software’ do they not understand?

Also I (in my own time at home) created a video with camtasia to show users how to setup a VPN connection at home to connect to our network via the citrix servers. I did this as my dumbed down paper version was too advanced for them. Could they connect? Nope, in the end the MD said “It would be best if IT could set this up, possibly out of work time or something…”

Great.

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I asked a remote user to uninstall a piece of software that he was trying to run, so he took the CD out and told me he'd done it...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  10. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

thats funny!

11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's scarey!

:cry:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD