%username% documents or "my documents"

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by dales, Mar 1, 2010.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi all,

I've got a bit of a issue I would like your advice on, we have a TS server which is using citrix to give users at a branch office a desktop from thin client, now looking through the profiles on the ts server it appears random whether the my documents folder is actually called my documents or %username% documents. is there a way of telling if you create a new profile for a user (for instance renaming the other profile so it creates a new one).

I'm thinking from a scripting POV if I want to copy stuff from the old profile to the newly created one?

Thanks

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Aren't they from different OS's? My Documents being the old XP format, Users\%Username%\Documents being from Vista onwards?

Of course I could be wrong but that's what I thought.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

That's what I was thinking vista and 7 use the documents root instead of the mydocuments opposed to xp

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I suppose you can make a backup copy of the old profile, recreate a new profile on the TS server and copy the old profile to the newly created profilews.

Alternatively, get the above done on your file server if assuming the profile in question is a roaming profile and being held on a file server.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell