User Profile

Discussion in 'Networks' started by amphtech, Aug 30, 2008.

1. amphtech

amphtech Bit Poster

How do set it up so the profile path will change depending on the logon server
    using the variables would that work eg: \\%Logonserver%\users\test\profile ? or have i typed it wrong?
    Thanks in advance wade :D

WIP: MCSE, MCSA, MCP
  2. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Not sure what you mean. Are the servers in the same domain?

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  3. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

your probably want to store the user profiles on only one server as storing a profile on different servers depending on which domain controller you logon to is going to cause you all sorts of problems. You want something like \\nameofmyserver\%username% I suspect so the server name is static but the username variable changes.

Jiggy

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: ABC's
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Not sure what you're trying to achieve here and why? Why would you want users to get a different profile if they logged on to the domain using a different DC? Unless you've got a script which, for some reason determines the location (AD site) they're logging in to and maps a different profile depending on that - in which case wouldn't you be better off simply defining different login scripts via a GPO?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. amphtech

amphtech Bit Poster

Well i have DFS replication setup and there are a users share on each of my two domain controllers and both of the Users shares will update between each other but i want to get the profile to change depending on which domain controller logged it on, incase one domain controller goes down.

6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I must be missing something here - surely that defeats the point of DFS? Your setup is sound - you have DFS in place to replicate the contents of users' home directories across your servers in case one of the servers is down. I'm still not sure why you then want to point your users' profiles to a specific server? If one of the servers is not available, all users won't be able to log onto the domain using that server anyway, and provided DFS is set up correctly, this shouldn't matter - as the DC they DO manage to authenticate from will have their profile on it anyway as DFS will have replicated it?

Sorry if I'm missing the point here (entirely possible after spending all day running my nuts off doing household/garden chores!)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. amphtech

amphtech Bit Poster

Well what would be the best way to logon when the main dc is down ?

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Make sure you have a secondary DNS server in your DHCP scope. Also make sure the profile path uses the full DFS share path.

Its will be something like \\domain.local\dfs\profiles\%username%

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. amphtech

amphtech Bit Poster

Thanks Sparky :D

10. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

amphtech,

In a Windows NT 4.0 domain, there were the specific server roles of Primary Domain Controller (PDC) and Backup Domain Controller (BDC). However, in a Windows 2000 domain, if you have two or more Domain Controllers, then there is no longer the "Primary" or "main" domain controller role, at least assuming a pure native Windows 2000 domain structure. I'm assuming they extended that feature into Windows 2003 Active Directory. So that's why it is confusing when you mention terms like "...the main dc..." because as of Windows 2000 and "Active Directory v1.0" there are no longer "...main dc..." servers.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA