User profile issues

Discussion in 'Networks' started by zxspectrum, Nov 9, 2015.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

This may be a first for me as it isn't a problem anymore, but I thought I would hare it as someone may come across the issue and also it has left me with a question, which I will get too in the end

We recently had a member of staff who could not get Visual studio to work when she logged in, she would get the message that the application needed to be reinstalled. However when it came to myself of another test account logging in the program worked fine. The way we fixed this was to rename all her profiles from the pcs she had been using, 5 in total and also delete the reg keys. Chris the admin guy had to do some resyncing on the server side but when she logged back in the issue had gone.

From that I do have a question, possibly a few more. 1 is there a way to check the profiles, to see what made this happen? And does anyone have any pointers in powershell to delete user regkeys and rename pofiles?

Cheers

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

Rather than delete the all the user profiles have you tried renaming the .bak backup profile and using it as the main one? We've found this to work well when a profile corrupts.

3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

We didnt delete the profiles, we just renamed them. We did delete the users reg key, but after the server had its side dealt with, the user logged on and it created a new profile and reg key.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  4. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

Sorry, that's what I meant. If you look at the current user reg key. There should be another key with the same name except with ".bak" at the end. If you take the .bak off it, put .bak on the original and then change the DWORD value it uses the backup profile instead, which usually isn't corrupted.

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs