User Accounts vs Local Users

Discussion in 'Software' started by leef, Sep 23, 2008.

1. leef

leef New Member

Hi there,

A question regarding User Accounts vs Local Users.

If I try and create a user account using the option in Control Panel, for a new user for the Computer, I get an error saying 'The user <domain>\Bob cound not be added to the administration group because <domain>\Bob does not exist.

However I can add a user in the Local Users and Groups option.

Are they the same?

2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Well... no, not exactly. You get the error message as the PC you're using is connected to a domain so when you try and create a user through control panel, it assumes you wish to add it to said domain with that user. If that user doesn't pre-exist then it won't add it.

If you create Bob (for instance) inside Local Users then you can log on locally (when you get to the Ctrl Alt Del logon screen, drop down the lowest dropdown box and choose "(This computer)" option)". When logged on locally - you're not on the domain.

Hope this made sense as I'm confusing myself. :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

If you want to add a user "localy" then you have to logon to that computer "localy"

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  4. Qs

I think you're incorrect here John. You can (as the OP stated) create a user whilst logged in and connected to the domain to be used locally.

As long as the user is created in the "local users" it doesn't matter.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

As far as I understand it, when you go to 'Control Panel' and 'User Accounts' the user account window that first comes up is simply for you to assign local permissions to existing users and groups (hence your error message).

From this screen, click 'Advanced' and 'Advanced' again to go the Local Users and Groups snap in to add the local account.

And no, it doesn't matter if you're logged in on the domain, as you can specify to create the account locally.

HTH.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Sorry my mistake :oops: dont think im cut out for this IT malarky

7. Qs

Yes you are, don't be silly. You have your MCDST after all, right? :)

Qs

8. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

well yes i do have the "certificate" for the MCDST :biggrin

9. Qs

You stole the piece of paper off someone else didn't you! :p lol

Qs

10. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I have been caught out!!! some old guy was selling them for a tenner so i thought "why not" :D

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Classic! :clap

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Qs

Not a very nice way to talk about tripwire. :p

13. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

He tried to sell me MCSA/MCSE for £11.48!............way out my price range :eek: