usefullness of mcdst

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by skillsmatrix, Apr 16, 2008.

1. skillsmatrix

skillsmatrix New Member

hi guys , new to this forum.

I have a pc technician diploma, which included an a+,n+,inet+,server+ internal qualification.
    I also have 4 years working experience as a desktop support technician.
    additionally I have an IT diploma in information technology from my local university of technology.

question1 ) do ppl only care if the a+,n+,inet+,server+ is comptia certified?
    question2 ) is there any point in doing a MCDST at this stage? ( i have the course material allready and find it very basic, however i think having a microsoft certified qualification might be beneficial?? )

thanks guys!

2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

you arent A+, N+ or Server+ (not sure about inet+, since i dont know the cert) qualified unless its certified by CompTIA. Those are CompTIA certifications. You can possibly say that your diploma covered the objectives of those exams, but you arent entitled to claim you are an A+/N+ qualified technician. so yes, they only care if its comptia certified.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

the A+ can only be compTIA certified as it's called compTIA A+.

With your experience the MCDST should be a walk in the park so you might as well get it.

Welcome to CF.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

MCDST is useful as it helps to focus u on desktop support.

It also makes u an MCP which can again be listed on ur CV.

I think the MCDST is growing in popularity with employers.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Not sure what you're asking... the certifications you listed ARE CompTIA certifications. If you didn't get those certifications through CompTIA... then you don't hold those certifications. :blink

The MCDST would certainly be useful because you've been doing desktop support. You shouldn't just certify on what you WANT to be doing; you should certify on what you already KNOW how to do. Thus... it should be relatively easy to knock it out.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!