Useful Virtual Optical Drive tool from MS

Discussion in 'Software' started by UKDarkstar, Apr 20, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I needed to playback an iso image at the weekend (friend's e-book he has written) and had to go searching for the best and simplest way of doing this. Of course, I could have just used Nero to burn the image to a CD but I wanted an easy way of just playing it via the hard drive.

After a bit of digging it turns out that MS have a virtual drive tool available for Xp (and I think, Vista). It is unsupported but if you want to have a play just for fun you can find the download link mentioned in this support reference : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916902

Enjoy and I hope you find it useful !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Sounds like Daemon tools, a program that lets you see .iso, .nrg, etc files as a CD.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Similar but very basic and it's free :biggrin

Handy to add to your utils maybe.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I put everything on my hard drives as iso's now, its just so much easier to click mount than get off my ass ha ha

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Majic_Munky

Majic_Munky Bit Poster

I like PowerISO. It supports up to 8 virtual drives (i think) - much better than my noisy CD drive....

Certifications: BSc, A+, N+
    WIP: Lots!