USB support in Virtualbox on 64bit host

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Nyx, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

just about to give up on this one...
    Have virtualbox installed on 64bit Win7, with 64bit Win7 guest, whatever I try I can't "plug" any usb device into guest os. Googled a lot, there are threads about it on virtualbox forum, but nothing seems to work for me. Having a blank usb filter in guest settings seemed to make a difference - it actually unplugged all usb devices from host and crashed the guest, so only reset button helped. Now I can't even make that happen again...

Has anyone had this issue?

2. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Are you using VirtualBox OSE or the other one?

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  3. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

seems from version 4 upwards there is only one, I have 4.1.6.

4. Dell mountainman

Dell mountainman New Member

Even i had the same problem. While trying to use USB for a XP 32 Guest on a Vista 64 Host the system shows with a blue screen.I try to use i tried other USB devices within the guest System but same issue is repeating. Usually the host system crashes while booting the guest with usb support.

5. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

Had another go at it today and sorted it, needed extension pack and usb 2.0 enabled. for some reason I thought previously it is the same thing as vbox additions... oh well.

6. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I see you have sorted it now, yeah you'll find you have to update the tools/drivers (tools cd image) as well with future main updates in case of changes.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  7. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Since 4.0 there is only one the open source version. The closed source components (USB 2.0 , RDP and PXE for Intel Nics) have been separated into a separate expansion pack.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots