usb problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joker001, Sep 7, 2006.

1. joker001

joker001 Bit Poster

As I went to start my pc this morning everything was ok till windows started to load, Instead all I got was a black screen.

So I restarted but again same problem. So I decided to unplug all my usb devices, Hey presto it booted up no probs. so I plugged them back in again but non of the usb ports were working.

So I rebooted with all the usb,s still plugged in and everything loaded up fine. This as happen a few times.

Does anyone here know what could be causing this to happen.

Cheers

WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

What USB devices do you have?

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

looking through the MS Site, there seems to be a few problems cropping up with USB since SP2.

I would advise to make sure the mobo drivers are as current as possible, as with device drivers. You can also check to see if a device is drawing to much current by going to the properties of the device in device manager.
    I had a problem on a customers machine. They were using a webcam, mouse, printer and hooking their camera up now and again. I have installed a Belkin powered hub and told them i will have the payment if it still hasn't locked up in two weeks times. So far so good.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. joker001

joker001 Bit Poster

I have,

Motorola Surfboard modem,

Brother all in one printer,

and thats it

non of them are powered by usb so it cant be a power issue.

5. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I too have had a few problems with USB since upgrading to XP SP2, I get some of my drives mapped via the logon script (G:), if I then try to plug my USB pen in windows tried to allocate the same letter (G:) so neither drives work. I have to manually change the drive letter for the USB pen......just weird if you ask me.

Nelix

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Sorry, but i thought that was the original question- USB devices causing a problem.

Si

7. joker001

joker001 Bit Poster

I dont know if it was a particular usb devices or the usb ports.

what I meant by not powered by usb is that the devices use a seperate power source i.e plug into the wall socket.

8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Yes, but they still consume some power via the motherboard/usb port. This seems to have popped up since SP2. :twisted:

Si