USB or Routers with Linux and stuff.....

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Fanatical, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

Ok, so I've downloaded Dapper Drake and got that working fine (Hooray!) now I want to get the old net connection fired up. Now I know that USB and Linux just don't go together. I've read the very detailed methods you need to go to to try and get a USB modem to work and basically I've said "sod that for a game of soldiers"!

I only installed Ubuntu to have a play around and get used to using a Linux based O/S and all this is a bit beyond me BUT I also don't want to shell out for an ethernet Modem/Router until I have a laptop and want a wireless LAN in my house.

So this is where you come in...

1) Do I just stick with trying to alter all the associated gumph with the USB modem and lump it.

or

2) Is it really worth shelling out for a new router? I know very little networking stuff so don't want to waste my money. Can I get a dirt cheap router that will satisfy me when want a WIFI connection in X months? What does the Ethernet card speed mean? What will having the router change to my system in Windows?

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I thought that Linux had largely got USB to work these days? Certainly the Debian installs I did recognised USB controllers 'out of the box'.

It would certainly be easier. And ADSL router/modems are now *very* cheap - around the £30 mark now. Add in a tenner if you want a WiFi AP built in.

Most modern motherboards will run Ethernet at 100Mbits/sec. This is way higher than ADSL speeds so there will be no bottleneck.
    It will mean a slightly more stable connection to the Internet.
    If you have a reasonably recent motherboard then it will have Ethernet on-board, and will be ready to go.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

Any suggestions as to cheap makes and models? REally want to avoid going over £30 as a max right now as I'm not sure my partner will be over the moon about me spending cash on non-essential pc stuff (non-essential to who! :D )

seen some on ebay but most of the wireless ones go over £30 or are tied to BT etc...

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

If £30 is your budget, then you should get an ADSL box with wireless for that (probably including postage) second hand off e-bay.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. hbroomhall

The make largely doesn't matter at that price.

I quoted the price currently being charged in the computer fairs, but you should get similar at any decent non-chain outlet near you.

Harry.

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

First off, have you tried using the USB connection? How do you know it *won't* work.

I have no idea how your network at home is configured. Do you have just the one PC that connects to the modem?

EDIT: I've added a diagram of my home LAN as an attachment. As you can see, I can attach any machine to the network either through the 24 port switch or wirelessly. Whether the modem is Ethernet or USB shouldn't matter.

Attached Files:

• LAN.gif
      LAN.gif
      File size:
      31.1 KB
      Views:
    Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. hbroomhall

Er - <cough> - It does matter. :p The number of switches that will accept a connection via USB is somewhat limited!

In the UK the USB ADSL modem is always just a basic 'one machine' type of connection. You buy a router/modem if you want a network.

Harry.

8. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

it's a nasty speedtouch 330 USB modem, having trawled the net for answers it seems that it's one of the worst for Linux compatability. Some USB modems are supported but the Speedtouch 330 definatly isn't.

Rather unsurprisingly I've tried the connection and Ubuntu doesn't recognise the connection but recognises the ethernet port just fine (hence the ADSL router option). I could get the modem to work but it invovles firmware downloads and editing stuff and at the moment I'm really just noobing my way around a linux kernel for the first time.

The real question was is it really worthwhile me getting a router when I only have one machine and Linux is just for laughs....

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Er....my mistake. :oops:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

well problem solved as my dad is switching to BT and getting the home hub things he's giving me his old Belkin router it's probably only 802.11b but it'll do me for free! :biggrin

12. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

13. hbroomhall

Correct! :biggrin :biggrin
    Well spotted.

Harry.

14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I was reading somewhere that you could get a cable modem to work on ADSL, or was that the other way round, I'm sure I read it somewhere on here, either that or I'll go back to sleep :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  15. hbroomhall

You can - if you get a DSL modem with Ethernet output. In the UK these tend to be rare, and often more expensive than buying the combo.

Harry.

16. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Sorry about that! I must have CTRL + V the wrong link. :oops:

I was referring to the WAG200G which is availible for under £40.

17. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

You mean I actually knew something for once! :cheers