Problem USB not working on Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jvanassen, Jan 4, 2012.

1. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Hi

Got a bit of a problem and was just after some advice.

A friend of mine has a laptop which has two usb ports on the side of it which she cant get working..Ive noticed that one of the ports has the whole plastic insert inside the port missing, its been snapped off. So i had a look at it for her to see if i could get the port next to it working, it doesn't respond what so ever when you plug anything into it and I checked that all the drivers were up to date etc and in device manager it shows the ports as working properly.

I was just wondering whether it would be a case of the two ports are on the same circuit or something so therefore as one port is snapped inside that its stopped the other working also.

Thanks in advance

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Thats pretty good going to snap the guides off inside the port. I would assume that its shorted the ports or something, I wouldn't waste any more time on it, if you checked the bios to ensure no funky settings need changing and windows reports the ports as all ok its a hardware fault. The only other thing you can possibly do it get them to purchase a pcmcia usb card or something similar.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Lol yea i did think to myself that it was quite impressive how they had managed to snap the plastic bit inside, never seen that before.
    Thanks for your clarification on this, that's what I had told them that it had most probably shorted the other port out aswell. Just wanted some clarification so I knew I hadn't fed them some bull**** lol.

Thanks

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101