USB Memory stick malfunction

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dazzo, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Hi All

Got a usb memory stick that is now not recognised or stated as 'malfunctioned'.

Are there any programs or tricks that could enable me to maybe just get a connection to it long enough to save the work on there.

The one time she doesn't back up her work :twisted:

Thanks

Darren

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +
  2. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Depends on what has happened to it really

You could try and recover the partition if it has been deleted or become corrupt, you could also try undelete plus or some other undelete software, there's loads out there. I have used http://undelete-plus.com/front-page in the past and the good thing is that there is a free trail version available so you can make sure it does what you want before you buy.

http://adv.active-undelete.com/?gclid=CIbp0aXPnp8CFeZr4wodzVYzJw does both the undeleteing stuff and also the partition recover thing.

Let us know how you get on.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  3. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Hi Nelix,

I'm unsure if anything has been deleted on the stick as i can't get onto it. In 'My Computer' there is no drive for the memory stick when i plug it in. Usually i believe there is a green light on the stick when it's connected and functioning, however this light is now red. This led me to believe the memory stick was broken in some way as the connector is pretty loose also.

Just wondering if there are any connectors that could be tried or ways of gettin the memory out of the stick with some other hardware able to read it.

Darren

4. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Arh!! I see your problem

If the connector is loose then it could be that the connector is not contacting with the board properly, I have seen this many time and also repaired a good number of them too.

If this is indeed the cause then I would open the stick so that the casing is removed, whilst looking at the board you will see that there are 4 connectors that should be soldered to the board coming from the usb connector, there will also be a connector at each side of the board, these are basically the outer casing of the usb connector/ground conector.

hopefully, the connector/s causing the problem will be easy to spot, grab a soldering iron and make sure the pins/connections have a solid connection to the board, once this is done get another USB stick and copy everything over to the new stick. you can now take the risk of continuing to use the repaired stick or simply destroy and dispose of it.

If you get stuck or dont feel confident using a soldering iron give me a shout.

Hope this helps

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
  5. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Thank you Nelix, huge help.

I too believe something has come loose, and when i get home will open it up to have a look. A soldering iron I do lack though however i do believe the father has one.

Will keep you posted

Darren

6. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I would also advise getting some flux to use with the solder, even if your using fluxed solder I would still get some, it really does help and only costs a little. it's great for cleaning the iron's tip and also helps the solder to flow much quicker and smoother when used.

7. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Hiiiii, I've had a similar problem but with an external hardrive, I believe it was corrupt, try going into disk management and see if its displayed in there, by plugging it in and unplugging ect by also using a differnt usb port, thats how i fixed mine. I cant remeber exactly how I done it sorry think I may have deleted an important file on the HDD that detects it or maybe autoplays it. Let me know how it goes, Regards,

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
    Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  8. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

I opened it up to have a look at to see if there are possible problems. Hopefully below is a picture :

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/5572/12012010083.jpg

had to be a link picture was hooge :)

Not sure on the connectors really, however the connectors on the right, one of which doesn't look as solid as the other which is where i believe the problem may be. Now to get hold of a soldering iron .....

Darren

9. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Operation solder connector back was a success........Dad had a soldering iron, solder and flux in the shed, go figure? Soldered the connector back (middle left) and left for a few minutes. Put it in the offending usb drives and hey presto! Did flash on and off a bit so obviosuly i lack the soldering skills of nelix but got all the work off and onto DVD.

Now to go give the back up ure data lecture and shop for usb flash drives :)

Thanks again for your help Nelix!

Darren

10. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Glad I could be of help.

11. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats :)

What I was going to suggest was to contact the Customer Service dept of the manufacturer of the stick then send it back. We've had several instances where sticks have been sent back and the company sent back, not only the data on the stick, but a new USB stick as well :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security