USB Hardrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ffreeloader, Jul 27, 2006.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I bought a little 5 GB Seagate usb ST650211U-RK hard drive yesterday. This is a handly little gadget. It's the first one I've had so I don't have much to compare it with but it seems to be pretty fast. I transferred some fairly large files to it in just a short time.

The main reason I bought it was so I would have the ability to keep electronic copies of my resume and cover letters with me at all times, but also so I could use it to install Linux on laptops that don't have cdrom drives. That's the reason I bought one with the capacity I did. Otherwise I would have just purchased a little 128 meg usb pen drive.

What is everyone else using along these lines?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i used to have one of those when i was working... now i got nothing.. they took it away from me when i stopped! :( going to get a 1GB one from Kingston because they nifty!:biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. ffreeloader

Are you referring to a pen drive that has a memory chip?

4. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I have a USB penstick that ive had for years.

It's only 128 Meg, I got it when they first came out, so I could copy files to and from work (as we disabled the use of floppys).

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

yes but before i had one these 5GB HD ones... with the blue light?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. ffreeloader

Yeah, this one has a blue light, but most usb devices, such as this and usb wireless devices, have a blue led to indicate activity.

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I am thinking of getting a USB pen drive now, as a dealer I can get a 4GB one of $128AU, which is pretty cheap I think.

At the moment I use an external USB cradle with a standard 120GB HDD in it. That is what I use to back up customers data and install apps on laptops with no CD ROM and cart around my own troubleshooting tools etc.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

I carry my DVD with my appz, but if the users has no dvd writer, i also carry my jump drive (1gb pen)... if i have to do imagining, i have an external 40b usb harddrive, which is the dogs nuts for the amount i paid for it... i even found drivers that allows it to boot up, but as they are meant to be universal, they sometimes work and sometimes dont....

9. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I have 2 x 1GB usb pens, the first one (integral) I bought then discovered that it would not fit into some laptops due to it being a little bulbus so I bought a second (Kingston). I also have an enclosure that holds a standard 160GB harddrive, I don't tend to use this much now that I have a USB Laptop HDD enclosure, currently containing a 40 GB drive which I find sufficient.

Nelix

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I have a 8GB hard drive USB card from Lacie. Really nice.

I keep all the Service packs and Autopatcher files on it!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I use a 1GB Kingston stick. I think it cost me £21 delivered from ebuyer.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  12. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I've got a Freecom external 250GB USB drive that cost just over £100 at the time. It's got some nice features like switching itself off if it stop recieving a power signal from the USB port. Dead fast as well. I use it for scheduled backups of my PC.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  13. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Dont all USB devices have this feature????

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I think so.
    I know my Lacie external USB/Firewire drive boots when you plug the USB wire in the computer.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  15. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Ah, your are thinking of devices powered by the USB bus are you not? This one is externally powered so in theory, could stay on forever.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  16. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Besides the Treo with a 1GB SD, I use a 2GB Flash Voyager. After years with a 256, then 512, and finally a 1GB, running various versions of Linux (DSL, etc.), I decided to go to 2GB. Then, make it bootable with XP, using two files from 2003 SP1. So, now I have a 1GB Linux 'live' thumb, and an XP one as well.

I love these things :D

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE