USB extention cord = epic fail.....

Discussion in 'Software' started by Benjaminpott, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Benjaminpott

Benjaminpott Bit Poster

Ok so today I decided that I would like to have my ipod touch 2G sitting on my desk via a usb cable - rather that have it sitting on top of my computer underneath my desk. So I went and bought a usb extention cable that to my supprise just decided to make my life a living hell for a good 20 minutes before i gave up on the whole idea of it.

The problem is that I can't get anything to work with it - as soon as I plug it into the computer with something attached at the other end... eg an Ipod... It just delivers a small popup saying that the device is not recognised. Without the extention cord the ipod works just fine. I think that there might be a problem with the driver but I ma not sure....

WHAT DO I DO I REALLY NEED THIS TO WORK!!!!

thanks to anyone who can help....

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

In your place I'd take the extension cable back and say that it doesn't work.

Don't forget that the maximum length for a USB cable is 5 metres, but as the computer is under the desk it shouldn't be anywhere near that length.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Does anything work with the extension cable? Have you tried a basic USB memory stick or a USB mouse?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Seen this countless times before. I think the device plugged into the extension cable is drawing too much current - as Sparky suggests, try plumbing a 'dumb' device into it and see if that works. If it does, then you'll know that you've just bought an expensive way of moving your keyboard across the room, if not, then the cable may be faulty :)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. Benjaminpott

Benjaminpott Bit Poster

hbroomhall,
    yeah the cord is only 2m in length...
    i have just contacted the store and they have offered to give me a refund but when they tested it at their store it worked fine.
    I really need this to work - so what are my other options...
    btw thanks for the comment

6. Benjaminpott

Benjaminpott Bit Poster

I have tried my thumb drive - my ipod and my mouse - none of which seem to work.
    Thanks for the comment!

7. Benjaminpott

Benjaminpott Bit Poster

Cable is not faulty as it has been tested at the computer store...
    do you know of a usb extention cord that works?
    I have tried numerous usb devices none of which work...

Thanks for the comment..

8. Benjaminpott

Benjaminpott Bit Poster

Firstly thanks to everyone for the comments - i really appreciate them.

The cable is only 2m in length.
    I have tried numerous objects to work with it including a mouse ipod and even a thumb drive... (4gig san disk)

I dont know why it causes sucha problem as it is just a cable

So i went back into the computer store and demanded a refund... (politely) - and there were cool with it - but first they tested it and the cable worked fine....

So I came to the conclusion that either there is something wrong with the usb reciever in my computer... the cable itself... or i might just be cursed... lol:D... anyway - what are your thoughts and do you know of a usb extention cable that works?

Thanks a lot...
    Ben Potter8)

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It *looks* like an issue with the USB port on your PC.

You could purchase a powered USB hub and run the USB extension cable off that, as the hub has its own power source it should eliminate any power issues with the USB port in your PC.

I take it you dont have any other USB ports in your PC, any front facing ones?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. Benjaminpott

Benjaminpott Bit Poster

I have 2 front facing ones and 6 ones at the back - all work fine without the usb extention cable...

11. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

Here's a stupid thought, are we talking about maybe compatibility issues? Maybe you're trying to hook up a USB 1.1 device to a USB 2.0 extension cable?

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  12. Benjaminpott

Benjaminpott Bit Poster

nope they're both 2.0 devices - sorry.....

BTW I love your picture