USB 2.0 to IDE Adapter & Virtual machine question

Discussion in 'A+' started by tysfoot, Mar 25, 2009.

1. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

Hi,

I posted this thread on virtual computing forum but havent got any replys as yet and i know you guys in here are helpfull.

Im studying for my A+ and have an external Hard drive with preinstalled windows xp professional and want to use that os to use a a virtual machine on m laptop whilst studying

ive seen on the market a "USB 2.0 to IDE or Serial-ATA Drive Adapter". is this what i need to set xp as a vm on my laptop, is there anything else i need or any other steps to complete t make this work

Thanks

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST, N+
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You've not really grasped the idea of virtual computing. The easiest method of you doing what you want to achieve is by installing VMWare Server/Workstation on your PC, then running VMWare Converter to convert the installation on your external hard drive to a VM, then importing it into VMWare Server/Workstation. Failing that, after setting up VMWare Server/Workstation, create a new virtual machine from scratch.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Firstly was there any need for two threads on this?

All the ide/sata to usb converters do is make internal hard drives (ie ones without enclosures) usable via usb. IF that drive has data there already then you can access that through the OS, however you couldn't make a new virtual machine and point it at that data and say use that as far as I am aware.

Virtual machines are generally built in stages one of which is the install of the OS for that machine.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

i have vitual machine on my laptop but only have xp home. VMWare Server/Workstation isnt free though is it. i had vmware installed on my computer a couple of months ago but my free licence ran out

5. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

The confusing way you've structured your question isnt helping us but here goes

VMware isnt the only Virtual computing app. There are other free solutions. I'm a fan of Virtual box but people have their own preferences. Just google for options

I'm not sure whether you're saying you have a hard drive with xp installed on it or that you have a vm on an external hard drive.

In the first instance Zebs recommendation is solid. You dont need paid for VMware to achieve this. Player and converter will do the job. Worry about server a little later as your needs grow though free solutions will do the job

In the latter you could just open it in vmware player

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Threads merged into one :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

I have an external hard drive with xp installed as the operating system on that hard drive. i just wanted to use that os as a virtual machine to use on my laptop, i use virtual machine

8. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  9. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

You cant do that, when you create a new virtual machine the process is the same as a new real machine, you have to install its own copy of the OS.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  10. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Yep - see this thread - towards the bottom.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA