USB 2.0 only running at 1.0 speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Armchair Pimp, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Armchair Pimp

Armchair Pimp Byte Poster

I suspect I know the solution to this (motherboard gone - get a new laptop!).. but I have an Novatech X20II1 laptop which has suddenly stopped recognising the USB2.0 hubs.. there's not enhanced USB in device manager.. I've uninstalled all the USB hubs in safe mode and reinstalled.. I've tried updating the drivers.. all with no luck... this all comes after it suffered another random shutdown (it seems to do it now and again when it's moved - power cuts off and you have to remove and reinsert the power cable to restart it).. which had reset all the BIOS settings.. I've reset everything in the BIOS but there's no USB options in there.. it's the latest BIOS version as well

Is there anything else I can do.. (System Restore didn't work - chipset has the right drivers etc..).. the USB ports still work.. just at USB 1.1 speeds..

Any clues? I'm thinking the CMOS chip might have had it...

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL Found+Pract, A+
    WIP: MCSA, MCTS, MCITP
  2. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

Damn,

I was reading your post thinking "Its the BIOS Its the BIOS Its the BIOS "

Then you said its the latest version of your BIOS.

Afraid thats about as far as my hardware troubleshooting goes.

Sorry :biggrin

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: None, but learning SEO/SEM
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

These are probably a stupid question, but just to make sure we've covered everything.

a) You are sure that the device your using is USB 2.0?
    b) you've tested with more than one device?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

What have you done since it was working last?

I reckon you need to clear out them inf files before reinstalling, may also have to reinstall chip set drivers

even if it drops speed from USB2 to USB 1 it should still show a USB 2 (enhanced) controller in device manager

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  5. Armchair Pimp

Armchair Pimp Byte Poster

Folks.... first of all.. thanks for the replies... things have moved on..

I loaded up a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows and had a mooch round the system tools in there... USB 2.0 according to the system checker was not supported..

I had a look back in the BIOS and there's very few user configurable options... nothing had changed from my previous settings.. so thinking laterally I thought the rest of the settings must be included in some kind of 'factory' default.. so I reset the BIOS using the 'Optimal default' settings... restarted XP re-ran SIW (system info for Windows) from UBCD and hey presto.. USB 2.0 support returned...

All is good..

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL Found+Pract, A+
    WIP: MCSA, MCTS, MCITP