US Military computer hacked - Is crime worth the sentence?

Discussion in 'Network Security' started by onoski, Oct 22, 2007.

1. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

There is no glorying in violence for me so can't and wouldn't say any more.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Who is glorying in violence? :blink He just wants to keep people off his property. :rolleyes: In truth, he's ensuring that nothing violent happens to him or his family.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Why don't you buy a gate?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

You wouldn't be referring to the expensive, solar-powered, remote control gate that we installed two years ago, and which has been ripped out twice by trucks making turnarounds in our yard at night? They drive so fast that by the time their lights hit the reflectors on it they've no reaction time left to stop, and they wind up ploughing through it. I'm already over $1000.00 out of pocket on the blessed thing and it didn't work worth a tinker's damn.

My new approach works better and I don't have to worry about fixing the gate now.

I'm not personally a big fan of violence unless it involves Mila Jojovich, skimpy clothing, and excessive use of CGI. I will admit to being somewhat overzealous when it comes to my respect for and defense of private property (both tangible and intellectual). I believe that this forms the bedrock of polite society.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Oh great, now I've got a mental image of you in skimpy clothing...

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. gochieng

gochieng Bit Poster

what is it about computer security that the possible extradition of Gary Mackinnon is showing here? What if he hadnot left a trail to be discovered? How many other hackers are not being detected? why are these powerful not be secured online? How safe are we with these guys who keep an arsenal of e-controlled weapons that could wipe us all when in wrong control? where were the SysAdmin and doing what? Couldn't the system require access authentication, audit trail or data encrypt?
    Gochieng

Certifications: MCP, MCDBA
    WIP: MCSE