US Military computer hacked - Is crime worth the sentence?

Discussion in 'Network Security' started by onoski, Oct 22, 2007.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No... they're chucking the book at him for intruding on their systems. Again, it doesn't matter whether they've implemented security badly... he still knowingly and willfully accessed their systems without permission.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

:p Pardon me if am wrong Grim, but how would UFO info found on US military computers help third world countries?

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

For me it does not matter what his intensions are. Breaking in is breaking in. One should not mess around with the property of other people/organisations. Even if I steal (!) from the rich to give it to the poor, the act is still stealing.
    What's more, if you were cought with your hand in the cookie jar, would you admit you were going to sell the cookies?
    I can not see inside his head, but neither can you. We both do not know what his motives are.
    My opinion.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

That would be a call for the law lords and legal system here in the UK to determine:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

He said he was looking for UFO info on the US military computers hidden from you and me. I still think however, he was wrong to have hacked in the computers but sentencing seems way too much for crime committed. Just my two penny worth of opinion though:biggrin

6. BosonMichael

If I hack into a US military computer system just to get address information for my old military friends who served with me, I've still broken the law by hacking into a US military computer system! Doesn't matter WHY I did it... it matters only THAT I did it.

He says he was looking only for UFO info... but who *really* knows what he was after? And even if we can assume that he was simply searching for UFO info, who knows what other sensitive info he might have accidentally found while looking?

So let's say I'm a terrorist, and I want to hack in to get some confidential information. When I'm caught, would you expect me to say, "Ah, you got me... yeah, I was trying to find out access codes for where the nukes are stored"? No... I'd probably say, "Hey, man, I wasn't doing anything wrong... I was only trying to look up some phone numbers..." :ohmy

Sorry, man... the excuses don't fly. If I don't want to be "negatively affected" by a foreign government (or for that matter, my OWN government), I should stay off their systems, which I have no permission to access.

Besides, it's not THAT bad of a punishment... once you figure in the UK-to-US exchange rate, he'll only be locked up for 35 UK years. :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

That is still a very long time I don't even want to imagine:blink

8. BosonMichael

Luckily, you don't have to... I doubt you'll try something even remotely as stupid as hacking into a foreign government's computer systems. :thumbleft

9. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

you'll have to ask him that :p

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  10. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

35 out in 25 for good behaviour :dry

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
  11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

You did state earlier in your reply that he hacked US military computers in order to help third world countries.

12. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

yeah i did but that's what he said according to one article i read a while back.

grim

13. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

LOL:biggrin

14. BosonMichael

It *really* won't help his situation if he keeps changing his story... :rolleyes:

15. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Well that's what Grim said he said:biggrin

16. francisco

francisco New Member

That's just a show of impotence.Shame on them..

17. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

I'm in favour of feeding the bastard feet first into a wood chipper. Solves any problem with re offending, sends the right message to other pimply crackers about not trespassing whether the property be virtual or meatspace, saves the taxpayer a large pile of dosh, and the tomatoes could always use more fertilizer.

Why, yes, I *am* a redneck. Thanks for noticing.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  18. BosonMichael

Repped for absolute agreement.

Let me know if you ever decide to run for office.

19. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Huh! can't believe he said that for real:ohmy

20. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Believe it.

Our yard is an acreage on the intersection of a moderately busy highway and a rural road. There is a large amount of oil patch activity out here resulting in a lot of traffic, mainly large trucks. We've had a problem with a lot of large trucks overshooting their turn onto some oil lease subsequently pulling into our yard and using it to turn themselves around.

First, we're a certified organic farming operation so I don't want oil patch trucks dropping their slop in my yard and screwing us out of our organic rating. Second, my seven year old daughter is always roaring around the yard on foot or on her bike. She doesn't pay attention to vehicles as well as she should (she IS seven, after all), so it's not inconceivable that she could wind up under one of these big rigs.

I called the oil companies and asked them to stop driving through our yard. Nothing changed. I phoned the police after every incident and they talked to the oil companies. Nothing changed. So I sat waiting in the trees by the main gate one morning when a rig move was going on. The inevitable happened and a tandem rig started to pull into our yard to make the usual loop. I stepped out of the trees with my shotgun slung over my shoulder and gave the driver my best "Psycho Billy" stare. He backed out of my yard right away.

Things changed immediately.

Amazingly enough, these @$$h0l3z talk to each other and word got around about the nut with the gun on the corner of RR 3-4. Nobody but nobody drives through my yard any more.

Trespass on my property at your own peril.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs