US Masters ?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by dmarsh, May 25, 2009.

1. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

No I'm not talking about golf ! :D

I'm toying with the idea of doing a masters, since I have already studied fulltime in England, if I were to do a fulltime masters I would quite like to do it in another country.

I've looked at a few websites, but I must confess to finding it all very confusing ! I can't even find a breakdown of the fees on most sites. There seems to be a lot of options.

I'm keen to take a Masters on Scientific Computing / HPC, that sort of thing.

If I were to take it in the US I'd like a state with reasonably low taxes. Obviously I'd also like a good college.

Approximately what would most likely be my costs of living and tuition as a foreign student ?

What is the application process like ?

Where should I go to find out more ?

Does anyone have any advice on the matter ?

thanks

dave

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Is it only the US that you're considering? Cause I was thinking, how about doing it at a recognised University in a country that's not part of the current G20 or what use to be the G7? Cost of living would be lower, so the fees would be lower.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

We I'm not really one for languages, (I can barely manage english ! :wink:) so I figured it would have to be somewhere where they spoke english for me to learn anything ?

Also the US seems to excel in IT. I figured the cost of living would be lower than the UK so in that way I'd be ahead, the one drawback would possibly be I would not be allowed to work on a student visa where in the UK I could potentially do small bits of work.

Did you have anywhere in mind ? Your league of nations hints are too cryptic for me ! :D

4. Kitkatninja

lol, well I lived in the Philippines for just under 4 years (that's where I finished my high school) and while I didn't speak the native language, all but the subject tagalog (the native language) was taught in English. Added to that there are also English and US communities out there.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  5. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Denmark? other EU countries do courses in english like uni of zurich etc but i would stick with UK to expensive to go any where else

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  6. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Sounds like a great idea Marsh and looks great on your CV. I'd love to do a masters somewhere like Geneve or Copenhagen but I'm weird like that :twisted:

This might give you some ideas my friend. Only as a starting point to investigate local rent prices, cost of living etc. http://www.webometrics.info/top6000.asp

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Perhaps Toronto mate, its higher thought of than Oxford and Canada is supposed to be lovely and cheaper than the states :biggrin

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Whichever state you go to you will be paying as a foreign student, which is a very high cost. There is another forum where I hang out under a totally different moniker that should get you on your way investigating.

Be warned, it's tough! :)

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  9. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well I was figuring on a better exchange rate !

Masters in the UK seem to cost anywhere between £5-£22k.

I found this on undergrad expenses, not sure how accurate it is and if it applies to masters level.

I'd like to get a better idea of the costs in the US but I expect even as a foreign student costs may not be much different or even cheaper than the UK.

10. Kitkatninja

Does the US have different fees for international students like the UK? Which could be up to 4 times the cost of a "home" student.

-Ken

11. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yes, I'm aware there is a big difference in the UK, I thought this was because the government part funded courses for UK nationals ?

I'm not sure if the same exists in the states, with all the stories of parents saving for the college fund, I thought it was a totally private system ?

12. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

You can only rely on the better exchange rate as long as the economy keeps improving. Last year when I was in the US the exchange rate was £1 = $1.75, then with the recession it recently fell to $1.30 and is only just now $1.62.

If you have the finances to tolerate the potential fluctuations, given that there is still a 'global' recession going on, then fine. If you have just enough to study on a good GBP/USD exchange rate then think again. :)

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.