Urrrrgh - Vista upgrade forced on me at work!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zebulebu, Feb 13, 2008.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I have been told that I have to upgrade to Vista because all the senior bods in my company are running it.

I am NOT a happy bunny! :(

Anyone else been forced into it?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you have my condolences :cry:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Nope, my MD keeps banging on about it but I keep telling him how expensive it will be. Funnily enough he doesn't want it any more!!

Could you not have a dual boot with Xp and just use Vista when you have to support the higher beings?

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Tried that argument - even tried to convince them to let me run it as a VM - but apparently I have to toe the line and be using it in production. Arse.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Poor you zeb, as we're still testing it at work and can't get it to work with our Citrix farm especially the business and ultimate edition. To be honest it is all annoying as this happens with new MS operating systems time after time.

Well when looking on the bright side there would be a service pack before the end of this year:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Not even been mentioned at my place, and long may it stay that way! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Not here either ....................... Yet anyway

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

nope not hear either, the MD did mention it and after i hit him with my bat he soon came back to reality

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  9. Toadeh

Toadeh Nibble Poster

The MD has it here but were not rolling it out so no point in slowing our dev machines down with it.

Certifications: BSc(Hons), MCTS Web Development
  10. Chopperchand

Chopperchand Nibble Poster

Not being rolled out yet, office 2007 / exchange 2007 planned for June/July 08. Our Finance Director got it on his new laptop and has been have problems. So if the money man don't like it I guess it is a good:biggrin

WIP: MCSA Sql Server 2012
  11. Daedalus1983

Daedalus1983 New Member

I cant beleive you guys hate vista so much , I was a XP pro lapdog for 2 years. And honestly ive yet to see a fault that would degrade service to my company. To the citrix guy , what problems are you having ? ive installed citrix on 2 client servers and im using citrix right now with my remote connection. So please explain what the problem is with vista , all services run smoothly with a solid built network.

12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks, I don't actually hate vista is just that at the moment vista business and ultimate edition when used by our users via citrix error message is "connection error - driver protocol error".

We've updated our five server farms to ica client 10.150 version but still no joy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  13. Daedalus1983

Daedalus1983 New Member

That is actually a very different error than i would expect , have you tried rolling back to version 9x? Id like to see this problem duplicated on the 9x presentation clients. Most of the updates citrix tries to roll out is to reduce the amount of resources vista uses. This is quite simple. After doing so the problem may or may not go away. Let me know what happens with the rollback.

14. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I dont hate it(I use it in my house and thats about all i would feel comfortable using it on)

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  15. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Our corporate philosophy for the desktop environment is to skip Vista and remain on XP. No gripes against Vista; but I can’t really complain about the corporate reasoning. There simply isn't a strong ROI for making the change from a business point of view.

16. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Had my first ever problem with my mums fiance's vista laptop today, had to mess around with the registry to get the DVD drive working again.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  17. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

We have one client with it and that's only one user to trial their software with it and so far it's been rebuilt three times and the same laptops running XP have not been rebuilt at all

Also found a bug in a fresh vista install, one of the recommended updates in windows updates causes the laptop to BSOD on reboot, Dell advise that MS will be issuing a fix for it, but for the mean time you have to remove it.

if anyone has the problem, you need to 1st boot up and disable automatic reboot, so you get the BSOD, power it off and back on, hit F8 again and select "allow unsigned drivers" and then the laptop boots, remove the problem update and voila, laptop works again..

Another issue is performance from a fresh install, the indexing is very useful, especially with Office 2007, however the amount of time it takes to install applications, XP from scratch with all applications, user data etc.. is about 4hrs, Vista laptop, same spec 8hrs...

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3
  18. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Na, haven't been forced. It's been mentioned here, mainly by me :) We're rolling out a few vista machines, but nothing major until it's needed and really not until Windows Server 2008 gets released.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well... it's good to use what you have to support... still, being forced into it sorta sucks.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I’m running Vista at work and at home. I do have an old PC running XP for testing though.

Some of the customers I support have decided to go out and buy themselves the latest Vista laptops and some have been straight forward to setup and some have been a nightmare. It really depends on what you want to install.

Observations so far:

1) Multiple problems with 3G cards
    2) When installing software expect a few errors but try to finish the install anyway.
    3) Roaming profiles do not work between XP and Vista, an additional profile is created!
    4) The time taken to copy files onto a network share is a joke.
    5) Again when creating a share it takes ages to complete if there are files already in the directory.
    6) Don’t expect tech support from any 3rd party software vendors. “FFS! You are not running Vista are you?”

SP1 out next week for Technet subscribers I believe. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs